Taylor Toolworks sharpening jig

Botch

Just got this video on an email (I have no financial link to TT).  Pretty clever way to sharpen your chisels.  Note the fire hazard at about 3:20 (base of the jig), yikes!  

I'd just purchased the Lie-NIelsen chisel jig and some diamond stones, and the hard part (flattening the backs) is already done on my own chisels, so I won't be purchasing this TT item, but it was a neat new way to skin a cat, and pretty fast to boot.  

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 1:27 PM, Botch said:

Note the fire hazard at about 3:20 (base of the jig), yikes!  

Yikes indeed. Serious question: I'm hesitating using any sort of power tool to sharpen my chisels because it would take at least a week of vacuuming to get all the sawdust out of all the crevasses in my shop where some spark might go and smolder. Do people have ways of mitigating this risk? Or feel it's overblown?

I do some occasional metal work in my wood shop. I think the risk of starting a fire from grinding sparks is fairly low, but I recommend NOT working metal in the wood space anyway, because cross contamination makes a real mess.

For a jig like that shown, which has a well defined spark ejection zone, a catch box for the sparks would be simple enough to set up, and pretty much eliminate the risk, and much of the mess.

• Like 2

I take care to not damage my good chisels and have a set that i use for abuse. I do sharpen them on my strip sander and i can say for sure there is a monumental difference between sharpening to 500 grit or 1,000 grit and using and using an 8000 water stone. The 8000 edge just last a lot longer. So probably fine for beater chisels but I'd probably not use this on my sweetheart 750s or Japanese chisels.

For refreshing stropping on some horse butt every now and then is quick and easy and doesn't require a jig in my drill press. With this method it's years between trips to my sharpening stones.

• Like 1