Grizzly G9953ZXF and Mobile Base possibilities

Everett

Hey All,

Toying with the idea of going with a 16" beast from Grizzly, the Grizzly G9953ZXF. 

It comes in at over 1700lbs. I looked a little bit; anyone have any idea if there is a possibility of a mobile base for something like this? I'm wondering if i just have to arrange my shop so it just never moves again, haha. 

I plan on it being my last jointer I ever buy. I have been looking at the other options, but most are the combo machines; I have such limited time as it is, i want to never have to go out and mess around with adjusting things, cuz they do have moving parts to switch em back and forth. 

Also, anyone have this jointer? Just wondering your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Ev

On 7/13/2023 at 11:29 AM, Everett said:

Just wondering your thoughts.

I think the vast majority of jointer work is less than 12" wide.  So I believe the jointer you mentioned is much wider than you will readily make use of-- but I'm certain that it's heavier than you are going to be happy about in the end.  Unless you are a commercial/industrial operation (that owns a fork lift truck).  :)  I could understand a 16" combination jointer & planer, because a bigger planer makes sense.  Speaking of which, how wide is your planer?  And are we talking lunch box or floor standing?  

• Like 1

FWIW while I'm the first to admit changing a J/P from one operation to the other can be a bit of a pain, if you need it quick for one operation, I have dealt with it by getting a helical head lunchbox planer to go with my 12" J/P combo machine. The combo with straight knives is still better quality but for the time you need to plane something quick or forgot one board and don't feel like switching the lunchbox is good to have. Both of my machines combined would be about 60% in cost are mobile and take less floor space. Just food for thought. Re an earlier post I have not had any adj issues with my Hammer A3/31 in the years I have owned it. My only complaint would be the fence which I think the have changed since I bought mine. 

Happy shopping :)

Thanks all,

Yeah, current planer is a Grizzly 15" floor model, have had it about 12 years, no complaints. 

I pulled the trigger and ordered the G0634x; when I went through a whole spiel to my wife about how "it just needs a forklift, and my dad will come do it" (Dad operated big forklifts for 30 years), she immediately said "no", as she's not dealing with it if something happens to me. 

I'm in an oversized two car garage, which i COULD swing the giant jointer, but doing a rough layout, starts getting tight. the G0634x also has the appealing ability to be right up against the wall/bench etc, all the other options, including SCM and Hammer cannot. 

I'll be gaining 4" of jointer, but losing 3" of planer; Been woodworking (when i can!) for about 13 years now, and I have only utilized the 15" for one single project, ever. 

This frees up the real-estate for a drum sander now, which could handle the really wide when needed. 

What I found interesting in research too is just looking at the machines between companies, they are all clearly coming out of the same factories. Take the Minimax FS 30C for example; it' shard to see the difference when looking at the G0634x, most likely same factory. 

One thing i noticed with the very few reviews of the G0634x, they all end with "i'd buy it again", except for one guy who couldn't be bothered to tighten a screw, and seemed to be looking for Format 4 quality. 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:21 AM, Everett said:

What I found interesting in research too is just looking at the machines between companies, they are all clearly coming out of the same factories.

Things can all come from the same factory, the difference being the quality that each company requires their product to be built to.  Having said that I believe Minimax is manufactured in Italy and Grizzly has some pretty good stuff for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear, IF the parts are coming out of China or Taiwan, they can have completely different specs and tolerances than other brands’ parts even if they are being made in the same factory. 

Additionally, some factories/companies in China and some other Asian countries are NOT above taking products made elsewhere and making tooling to create nearly identical looking parts/tools/machines/whatever. Sometimes even including the original company’s name stamped on parts while advertising the item as a different brand :blink: