Attaching Shaker-Style Drawer Faces

TomInNC

I am planning on making shaker-style drawer fronts for some drawers. My initial plan was to use 1/4 ply for the panel. I assume that the 1/4 ply isn't enough material to actually hold screw for attaching to the drawer. How do people usually handle this issue? I guess I could size the stiles and rails on the drawer so that there would be enough overlap between the front and the box to attach to the stile. I am concerned this might make the drawer front proportions look odd. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

The face of the drawer is either false, or you could make the panel a raised panel with the raised portion going to the inside of the drawer.

In the false front you make the drawer face and then attach it to a completed drawer box. You'd want to provide a spacer of some sort to go between the drawer box and the panel on the false front.

Honestly I solve this the easy way. Shaker drawers are a slab front and I don't typically design larger drawers. If i do taller drawers for a hull height bank i put a door on and have pull out trays.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, Chestnut said:

The face of the drawer is either false, or you could make the panel a raised panel with the raised portion going to the inside of the drawer.

In the false front you make the drawer face and then attach it to a completed drawer box. You'd want to provide a spacer of some sort to go between the drawer box and the panel on the false front.

Honestly I solve this the easy way. Shaker drawers are a slab front and I don't typically design larger drawers. If i do taller drawers for a hull height bank i put a door on and have pull out trays.

If i do taller drawers for a hull height bank i put a door on and have pull out trays.

That would be considered a roll out 

On 8/29/2023 at 8:37 PM, TomInNC said:

Thanks guys. Helpful as always. Pkinneb and BillyJack, are the screws on your drawers going into the panels or the rails? I was having trouble figuring that out from the pictures. 

In my case both. Here is a better pic the outer two are into the face frame the center two are the drawer handle.

IMG_9938.thumb.JPG.0b147066d52b22d45429c1f2c46ffc03.JPG

• Like 1