Anybody

Mqutkingdom

Well I'll kick things off by asking. What is the best brand, size, and type of projects that you would recomend for a bigginer on the lath?

The mini lathes are actually pretty good for a beginner. You can turn spindles, pens, and small bowls and vessels. And they can be had for a reasonable price. Problem is, if you get bitten by the turning bug, it probably won't be long before you decide you want something bigger. But really, turning is a whole different world of woodworking. So I recommend trying to take a one-day class at a woodworking store just to get some hands-on. Familiarize yourself with the lathe and the associated cutting tools. This will give you a lot of valuable perspective that will help you choose the right equipment and the right projects.

Definitely what Marc said "try before you buy". I know my local Woodcraft does pen turning and other turning classes weekly. One great benefit of taking one of those classes is that their back room has one of each lathe they sell so you could maybe hang out after the class and try each until you figure out what you want.

Turning looks like fun, but someone warned me to finish all my current project list before getting a lathe since he thinks I'll like it so much that I'll never make another cabinet :o

Turning looks like fun, but someone warned me to finish all my current project list before getting a lathe since he thinks I'll like it so much that I'll never make another cabinet :o

I was told the same thing. Everyone said once I get into turning I will never look back. For some reason, I just enjoy the idea of building joints and structure into a piece. Don't get me wrong, turning can be a blast. But at the end of the day, I'm a furniture-maker at heart.

I've got a very addictive personality..obviously. Anyway, I was told the same thing about lathe work. So, since I want to become a master furniture maker, I've opted to hold off on a lathe until the future, and then I'll get a Oneway.

I was told the same thing. Everyone said once I get into turning I will never look back. For some reason, I just enjoy the idea of building joints and structure into a piece. Don't get me wrong, turning can be a blast. But at the end of the day, I'm a furniture-maker at heart.

Same here. I've got a JET mini, and yeah I make pens, peppermills, etc... After about the 5 pen in a day I'm so bored with my lathe I don't touch it again for a long time. I just can't stand in one place I guess.

I do have a friend who was "sucked in" by turning. He says he likes it much more than flat work b/c he can come out with a finished product in a few hours, not weeks... Instant gratification I suppose.

Well I'll kick things off by asking. What is the best brand, size, and type of projects that you would recomend for a bigginer on the lath?

I started with a cheap lathe from ebay, the turning bug got a hold of me and I wound up earing that lathe out. I picked up the new Delta Midi lathe and absolutley love it. My wood storage area of my shop has been taken over by logs. I have made a few pens but mostly bowls.

I've got a very addictive personality..obviously. Anyway, I was told the same thing about lathe work. So, since I want to become a master furniture maker, I've opted to hold off on a lathe until the future, and then I'll get a Oneway.

This si kind of what I was thinking. I dont have room for a lathe either. time will tell.

i just got started on the lathe recently with an old shopsmith 10er. fun machine but lathe is more fun. tricky using the tools, still learning how to use them. I have watched videos galore on youtube. thats another starting point look up turning videos on youtube etc you will discover a plethora of instructional videos on the subject. found a couple of books too at the public library.

My first lathe was a Harbor Freight special and my first projects were pen kits from Rockler. Why Harbor Freight? Because it was only $99. I knew it wasn't going to be great quality, but I figured it had a year waranty, and I figured even if the thing konked out on me, I was still guaranteed a year of learning for a hundred bucks. I put the thing out on the balcony of my apartment and chucked some scraps of wood and started making chips. Knowing that I could always "blame" the cheap equipment if I didn't get good results, I was free to just play, something you shouldn't underestimate.

After making a few tops and other pointy things, I went to Rockler and started getting pen kits, and from there it's grown. I now have five lathes (among other things) all the way from a full-sized 1950's delta down to a watchmaker's lathe (I branched out into clock repair, too) and am finally looking at getting my first "serious" lathe (the Stubby S750 from australia), but first I'm gonna have to start making my habit pay for itself to get that kind of cash together, but we all know what that's like!

After re-reading this thread, did any of us actually answer your question? Were you wondering about what kind of projects to start with, what kind of lathe, or both?

If you are looking for beginner projects, just go to either Woodcraft or Rockler (if there is one in your area) and just pick a kit that looks good. Talk to the guys there if you want more opinions. they're pretty familiar with them and can tell you what each one would take. If there isn't one in your area, you can order from both of them online.

Pens are always good for starters, but they do take a few customized bits to get going, like mandrels and bushings. And the assembly can be a bit challenging until you get the hang of it because of the superglue. Salt and pepper shakers might be simpler in that I think you just drill a hole in the wood and screw the guts in when you're done.

Or if you want REALLY simple, do a wine stopper. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I started by finding a turner near where I lived and asked him for help. He had me take some of his bowl cut off's, from when he made the bowl blank round, and had me make them round. Then he had me use other tools just to make shapes on what I turned round. Then acorns, balls(not very round), eggs, icecles and various spindle shapes. Now I'm up to bowls, vases, mushroom boxes, angels, small birdhouses and anything that I want to try. Some turnout and others are waiting for heating season and the wood burner. Like others have said, it can become adicting. Have a great time with it and don't get discouraged, ask for help.

Phil Malavolta

I agree with the apprentice route - sometimes you can learn more from a local woodturner than anything by yourself. I visited a friend of mine (just brought some blanks) and he showed me how to use the tools from sharpening to holding them to moving my body (more than you think!). I definitly caught the bug but have some other projects to finish before I buy my own lathe and tools. My first project was a set of bowls - simple round things that are easy to look at and hold.

• 3 months later...

my first project to get back into turning (it's been a couple of decades...) was just "play projects." Just enough fun with spindles to remember how to use some of the tools, and to get the muscle memory back on sharpening and turning.

I am going through my box of scrap and cut-offs, turning them into dust, chips, shavings, and such. I have no particular plan with them, just trying to get various shapes and curves done. (the real projects begin Thursday. Hopefully to be finished in time for holiday gifting...)

as for materials to start with, look for storm damage. (seriously.) You can pick up turning blanks of various sizes after any decent wind, but storms allow for larger chunks.

Harbor Freight has a basic set of turning tools for under $30. Be aware it's *REALLY* soft steel, so you'll wear through them very fast, and have to constantly sharpen them. Consider the basic HSS 3 or 5 tool set from Woodcraft. (the 5 tool set was $140 when I dropped by Woodcraft yesterday) Keep in mind, you will end up purchasing turning tools the more you sharpen them, so don't feel bad about replacing them. I have spoken to some turners who go through tools every six months, but they are turning all day long for at least 4 days a week.

Try Craigslist, eBay, your local classifieds, or Trading Times for tools or lathes. (the latter is not free.) If you can get to your local wood suppliers, or wood work retail stores, check if they have a bulletin board or "classified wall." You can often get decent power tools -like the lathe- at a decent price by people in your area, and might help you with a tip or two when you go to pick it up. (or might help you unload it to set it up...)

• 2 months later...

Probably too late for the original poster, but I can post what I decided on if it would help others who are thinking of getting into turning.

First I took a beginning turning course at the Austin Woodcraft store. Which was my downfall. I had a blast and managed to make a pretty respectable 6" bowl out of Bubinga. I had a little disposable cash set aside for woodworking tools, so today I got the whole setup in one whack. I decided that I wanted to be able to turn goblets, but have the capability to make bowls. The Delta midi that I had used in class had a short learning curve for me, and I was able to see the utility of variable speed control while making my bowl. Another nice feature was being able to reverse the motor for sanding. After perusing the forums here and at sawmill creek I found it was pretty highly rated and had the capability of a future expansion of length, as well as a fairly large motor for a midi. I wanted a movable head so I could turn larger than 12", but decided if I ended up turning larger objects I'd be ready for a higher capacity motor and just step up to a full sized lathe at that point. The final nail in the coffin is Woodcraft had that particular lathe on sale for 15% off.

So I bought a Delta 46-460 variable speed midi lathe, with it's stand and the Delta branded Nova G3 chuck. I also got a hood that mounts with magnets around the chuck that does a fair job of sucking the shavings into my DC setup.

I also got a full face shield on general principle. Back in college I managed to get a metal shaving in my cornea while I was grinding off some rust, around a full face shield. After that experience, I'm pretty paranoid about my peepers.

Finally the turning tools. I thought about getting an entry set of turning tools, but was going to have to get a sharpening setup for it as well. After some agonizing, I decided to pass on the WS3000 for now and got three of the full sized Easy Wood Tools; the shaper, smoother and detailer. They were pretty expensive, but I had already used one and fallen in love with it. I'll get some extra carbide tips and pick up other tools as need be for projects.

Setup was easy, though getting the lathe up on the stand was just at the limit of what I could safely lift. I chucked up some scrap pine and happily made the world's most expensive dowel rod. :)

On the way home I picked up some 3'x10" 12/4 and 16/4 Poplar stock that was pretty inexpensive and should be good practice stock for bowls and goblets. I've also a mind to rip some of it down for hardwood cauls and turning stock.

This is not the least expensive way to get into turning, but I'm happy with my choices. All the equipment I chose, from the lathe to the turning tools should be something that I take awhile to outgrow. I learned my lesson about how expensive cheap tools can be when I purchased my tablesaw. It's a good saw, but not right for my needs. Hopefully I've avoided that problem today.

ps- Attached a photo taken during the class, that's me turning my bowl on the same lathe I purchased. Notice the lack of respiratory protection and no face shield. I'll do better next time.

post-3855-0-79411500-1298088061_thumb.jp