Any LED Experts?

legenddc

Looking to add some LED strip lights under my deck railing but the amount of choices are a bit overwhelming. Our neighbor has the Phillips Hue on his deck but I don't want to spend $500 for outdoor lights.

End goal is lights for the 30' span of railing minus the gate in the middle. These will primarily be used as white, extra lighting as the sun starts to go down, but also I'd like to change the colors for various holidays. I don't need an app, automation, integration, etc., a simple remote is fine.

I see Govee has cheaper options and then there's the DIY method which seems like you get better quality for cheaper. I'm going to have to do some soldering to bridge the gap created by the railing unless I get two 16' lights and run separately.

Lee Valley has a good selection of LED strips in various densities and colors, including weatherproof tapes. I've installed hundreds of feet of the stuff over the years and have never had a call back. It is important, especially for the higher density tapes, to mount them on the aluminum extrusions that are sold for the purpose. They would be in the DIY category, but they're easy to do. I solder all connections rather than use the clip on connectors.

• Like 2

Thank you for that suggestion. I was planning on aluminum extrusions and diffuser. Figured properly soldered connections would be better than clips.

Is there a density you recommend? 30 or 60 LEDs/meter?

If I stick with a 12v will a 12v low voltage transformer kit for landscaping lights work? I have a spare 250w one I could use.

Part of my confusion is with the controller. The controller connects is in-between the power supply and the light strip right? At 32' long will I need to have multiple power inputs? How would that work with a controller?

Funny you mentioned the video. I just re-watched and I think I'm more confused. 

LEDs per meter is not a valid spec for determining lighting levels because those LEDs can be small or large. Watts per meter or lumens per meter is more meaningful. The more LED/meter, the more even the light. If you don't want a lot of light, but need uniformity, you can use more LEDs/meter and then use a dimmable driver.

For a 32' long tape, I'd feed it from both ends (and maybe the middle) to combat voltage drop issues.  The driver needs to be sized according to the total load of the tape. Don't use a transformer for low voltage landscaping lights. LEDs are much more sensitive to power than halogens and a driver will give them what will keep them happy. The connection is thus: 120VAC - Driver/controller - LED tape.

Lee Valley has tables and such that will help you get the right tape and driver.

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

I’m glad you posted this. This is kinda where I ended up when looking into LED strip lighting for replacing the fluorescent fixtures under my kitchen cabinets.

They are the bee's knees for under cabinet lighting. So much nicer than fluorescents. But use the extrusions. If you stick the tape directly to the cabinet, the heat build up will lead to lumen depreciation and color shift in just a year or 2

On 11/7/2023 at 4:49 PM, JohnG said:

I’m glad you posted this. This is kinda where I ended up when looking into LED strip lighting for replacing the fluorescent fixtures under my kitchen cabinets.

I bought some cheap LED bulbs to replace those little halogen 2 prong ones in ours that kept burning out. Been working great for years now. 

This got me wanting to add the LED strips under our cabinets in the dining room right next to the kitchen. Before I know it our house is going to be lit up like Times Square. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Interesting conversation, tganks for kicking it off!

I'm curious about everyone's preferred placement for under-shelf lighting INSIDE a cabinet.

Done that too. I routed a dado in the bottom of the shelf to receive the flush mount extrusion. I've also put flush mount mini LED puck lights by drilling a recess with a forstner bit for the puck. To get the wire there I drilled a 1/4" hole from the edge to the fixture with a long bit. It's a very effective look.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm no LED pro, but I once added lights to my patio. I chose RGB LED Strip Lights that work with batteries. They're bright, and I can change the colours, which is excellent for different vibes or parties. They were easy to put up and came with a remote.

These lights are suitable for outside because they don't get damaged by water and bend easily. They only have one colour, and the battery part is kind of big, but they still worked great for me. If you want more ideas or options, check the articles about LEDs; that's how I chose the lights for my case.

• Like 1