Von's shop tour and setup log

Von

That is a great looking space Von. I could get very comfortable in there.  One giant leap for my shop organization was a garden shed.  I moved everything that could tolerate that environment out there and freed up all that space.  Shovels, lidded barrels of soil and fertilizer, pots for plants, stakes, edging, etc.  At one house I bought a cheap metal garden shed and raised it on three rows of cinder blocks so I could walk around in it.  This made getting garden stuff in and out much easier.

I made a lot of furniture with one of those Delta benchtop planers.  I also had a Ridgid belt spindle sander like yours.  I put mine on a flip top with my benchtop planer on the other side in one iteration. Saved me one tool stand's footprint.  

It looks like you've got some good organization going on there.  I also have an old Craftsman toolbox that comes in really handy for a lot of crossover-type tools. That is a cool looking table on your bandsaw.  Is it shop made? Great looking router table as well.  I passed on the chop saw due to the large footprint they take up but that is a personal choice.  Plenty of folks wouldn't give up their CMS or RAS for anything.

It looks like you have plenty of room to get a good workflow going without permanently monopolizing the whole floor space.  By using the one half of your space for a work area and assembly tasks you almost automatically meet the requirement for a place to put a car; very clever.

Very nice! A goodly space to work with, even given the need for mobility. I am a bit biased toward the tablesaw as my primary machine tool, so I would suggest building that benchtop saw into a table to extend the outfeed, at least. Added space to either side can be very usecul as well, but depends a bit on how far the fence can travel. The extra table surface makes a lot of tasks much safer and simpler.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 6:21 PM, gee-dub said:

That is a great looking space Von. I could get very comfortable in there.  One giant leap for my shop organization was a garden shed.  I moved everything that could tolerate that environment out there and freed up all that space.  Shovels, lidded barrels of soil and fertilizer, pots for plants, stakes, edging, etc.  At one house I bought a cheap metal garden shed and raised it on three rows of cinder blocks so I could walk around in it.  This made getting garden stuff in and out much easier.

Thanks @gee-dub. Yes, a shed would be helpful. We already got one to store my wife's bicycle which was a big help for me since I was always worried about damaging it somehow. She likes the gardening stuff to be convenient so any shed will take discussion. Our property is on the side of a hill, so a shed is tricky due to the slope.  

That is a cool looking table on your bandsaw.  Is it shop made?

I got it from Rockler probably 20 years ago. Doesn't look like they carry it anymore.

Great looking router table as well. 

Thanks. Norm Abram V2 that I built.

I passed on the chop saw due to the large footprint they take up but that is a personal choice.  Plenty of folks wouldn't give up their CMS or RAS for anything.

You mentioned not having a chopsaw in another post and it did invoke a long think in me. You are right, there is nothing I can think of that I couldn't do between my TS sled, jigsaw, and handsaws. And chop saws are dust spewing, awkwardly shaped things. And it's not like I'm doing framing or trim installation.

That said, habit. My usage of my chopsaw is slowly going down, but it probably still vies for most used tool in my shop - it's so convenient because it's always ready to be used. I'm trying to use handsaws more. And I recognize the risks of using the chopsaw breaking down rough lumber, so maybe I'll break out the jigsaw next time I do that.

So, thank you, you've got this on my mind.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:41 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Very nice! A goodly space to work with, even given the need for mobility. I am a bit biased toward the tablesaw as my primary machine tool, so I would suggest building that benchtop saw into a table to extend the outfeed, at least. Added space to either side can be very usecul as well, but depends a bit on how far the fence can travel. The extra table surface makes a lot of tasks much safer and simpler.

Thanks @wtnhighlander. Yeah, good point, I should decide if I'm going to live with this saw or upgrade it. I've cut 4'x8' plywood on my saw, but frankly now that I have a track saw, I hope I never have to again. My saw has build-in retractable wings to the left and back, so side and outfeed support aren't bad. I really would like better infeed support for using a sled.  My bench helps with long boards, but not balancing a sled.

On 12/29/2023 at 6:27 AM, Von said:

And it's not like I'm doing framing or trim installation.

They are great for this though.  Mine lives on its stand in one of the sheds.  When I am going to do a lot of that kind of work I drag it out an am glad to have it.  Mine is just a DeWalt Chop Saw though.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:38 AM, Von said:

I really would like better infeed support for using a sled.  My bench helps with long boards, but not balancing a sled.

I think @gee-dub has a solution for this.  It's sort of a wooden tongue that attaches to the front of the TS.  But I'll let gee-dub explain (or deny any knowledge of what I'm talking about).

• Like 1

Started work on a saw till yesterday. My own design inspired by the countless designs out there. My biggest experiment is I'm not going to permanently attach the "combs" (what does one call the pieces with all the slots the blades fit into?). I'm going to screw them on so I can change them easily later if I want to.

PXL_20231230_181903658.thumb.jpg.56bd66d75fe666902c87d3d472362714.jpg

Here you see the two side pieces, lying back-to-back with plywood spacers in between. On my learn list is sliding dovetails, so I'm using those to attach the rails to the side pieces. I'm cutting the matched pair in the two sides at once to keep the slots aligned.

PXL_20231230_192001245.thumb.jpg.c882546bd4c20f8cde26b5e24d02eea8.jpg

This is the back of the till with one rail installed. I thought about various ways to route the tails in the end of my rails before deciding to do it by hand. Cutting the tails wasn't hard, the hard part was not damaging the shoulders. I cut the shoulders with a saw and then chiseled the tails to that line, but any slip of my chisel past the line would typically split the end grain of the shoulders. A little sanding "blended" those mistakes, but for next time I need some way to manage this risk.

Drilled holes in the rails to attach the combs and glued it up with a dowel on the front for the saw handles to rest on. Next step will be to cut and attach the "combs."

• Like 1

Thank you to gee-dub and Mark J for the infeed suggestion. I'm going to do something like that but unfortunately it's a little tricky on the Dewalt saws like mine because there is no gap to hook onto between the fence rail and the saw (see photo below). I know of one (no longer sold) commercial infeed extension and installing it involved drilling holes where you see the measuring tape and having a couple bolts on the extension that dropped into those holes. Assuming I keep the saw I will eventually do this, but want to take time to get over the "permanent modification hesitation."

PXL_20230131_193309610.thumb.jpg.17fd0e15d887390c3a2b16ed4f554263.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:34 AM, wtnhighlander said:

My TS fence rail also has no slot. I made a variation of this device to assist with infeed support.

Thanks @wtnhighlander. I can see how that works well for ripping long pieces, how does it do with supporting cross-cut sleds and the like?

Not so much for sleds, unless you can keep the fence close. Extending the support platform too much lets it droop.

An alternative might be a "saddle" that lays across the saw table. The pieces that lay on top should be the same thickness as your sled base or thinner, and below them a cross piece would support your sled. If it was joined by another cross piece on the outfeed side, gravity would keep it in place.

• Like 1

gee-dub - I like the Jawstand stand because of its flexibility. Looks like they are about $120 now, but I'll put it on my "watch for a sale list."

I do have a couple roller stands right now and with my bench now situated in front of my saw, I think I'm good for long stock (8' is I believe the longest I've ever cut).

The specific challenge I have is supporting my cross-cut sled. This isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice to have more support for those times I'm cutting multiple parts and having to clamp them in turn and the blade is up high enough to be in the way so the sled can't rest fully on the table because the blade and setup for the cut interfere and then I'm having to brace the sled while get the cut set up. I've used a roller stand, but it feels really in the way - as you say, feet collision.

There is also sheet goods, but I think with the track saw I'm done cutting those on the table saw. Time will tell.

Hey gee-dub - thanks for clarifying. I've tried that approach and found the stand gets in my way (specifically my feet's way), but yes, it's worth it if I'm cutting larger pieces.

• Like 1

Very cool shop. I'm super jealous of the amount of space that you have.

It appears you have lots of storage possibilities under a lot of your tools like your planer and workbench. An assembly table would also be a good place to store things out of the way.

Another thing I noticed is most of your wall storage on the french cleat seems very flat. The items on the north-east wall seem like they could all fit in a hand tool cabinet. I know some people prefer things not to be hidden.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 8:10 AM, Von said:

Agreed. My plane storage in particular is inefficient right now.

One thing I'm trying not to recreate is to over-stuff the shop. Before my re-org the walls and horizontal surfaces had gotten filled with every tool, scrap of wire, piece of rope, bungee cord, doohickey, etc that I "might need some day." For my personal taste it had gotten unpleasant for me aesthetically. So I'm trying to find the balance between "stuff I need" and "pleasant to work in."

I attach a couple of "before pictures" from the NE corner last April. 

Totally understand. It's why I like having that cabinet in my shop instead of the open storage I had.

I don't know why woodworkers seem to be so hesitant to use mechanics tool boxes in their shops. Clearing off that whole wall and putting it in the toolbox like you did seems like a much better use of space.

You could build a small closet/fake wall for the yard stuff. Then you would have additional wall space and could prevent further encroachment. :D

• Like 1