Von's shop tour and setup log

Von

On 3/25/2024 at 11:41 AM, Mark J said:

If I understand the operation correctly, the left edge of the L-fence has to be lined up exactly with the left edge of the saw teeth.  Curious how you set up for the cut?

Similar to @wtnhighlander I used a square against the edge of a tooth on the blade to set the L-fence.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:45 PM, Coop said:

I’ve never built a L fence as I’m not sure I understand the usefulness of it. As often as I’ve heard of them, I’m sure I’m missing something? 

Similar to a router with a flush trim bit, it lets you trim one piece of wood to a template that runs against the fence usually attached to the wood with double-stick tape or similar, but as @JohnG mentions you can also have a template with some high-friction material you just hold against the wood.

Unlike a router, it can only cut straight lines, but it's very fast and efficient since it's only making a 1/8" cut, so you can easily cut off pieces that one would normally rough cut first on a bandsaw before flush trimming with a router.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:20 PM, gee-dub said:

You have made some wonderful progress on your space Von.  I have really enjoyed getting to tag along so far.  Thanks!

Thank you. I appreciate having the advice, feedback and ideas from this forum, as well as the extra motivation I get from sharing progress.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:03 AM, Mark J said:

Have you given any thought to heating your space (when in use)?  A 240V electric heater might raise the temp significantly, and can be turned on and off as needed.

Late to this thread; stole some ideas and I have some input on the above idea.  

When I was stationed up in Grand Forks ND the house I bought had a two-car garage that was also quite deep, had room for both vehicles and a decent-sized shop.  I insulated and sheetrocked the whole garage, then bought a forced-air kerosene heater.  On the first really cold Saturday morning (-24º F) it was about 0º in the garage and I fired up the heater; within 40 minutes it hit 60º!  Was so happy.

Went over to my spanking-new tablesaw, and the side of my hand froze to it, like a double-dog-dare lick of a flagpole.  Within a minute or so I was able to pull loose, and then I noticed a whitish film on the table.  It all hit me; the air temp rose 80º quickly, the heater was billowing out CO2 and water vapor, but any block of cast-iron would take forever to warm up, collecting condensation all the while.  And that included my tablesaw, my vise, all my planes, the car and truck....  Was so unhappy.  

I could've left at least one vehicle in the driveway during the 8 months of winter, and scrape the windows at 0600 every morning, but I realized my dream of a heated shop, just wasn't going to happen.   When I bought this place in UT, I made sure it had room in the basement for a shop.  

TL;DR - If you're going to heat a shop during the winter, it needs to be heated 100% of the time.  :(  

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, Botch said:

TL;DR - If you're going to heat a shop during the winter, it needs to be heated 100% of the time.  :(  

Another issue I've heard of (I think it was on WoodTalk) is if your shop is cold and you open a door or window on that first warm Spring day, you can end up with condensation on everything.

I find myself using my heater just to make it more comfortable on marginal days, say getting the shop from 40 degrees to 50.

• Like 1