Von's shop tour and setup log

Von

I was going to suggest that your prototype looks like it could accommodate 2 (or even 3) clamps.  I think that would increase the holding power.  But I also like wtnhighlander's idea.  

The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.   You could have a plywood strip with gaps for the clamps.  Another thought is attach the plywood strip to the clamps rather than the underside of the table extension. 

Just some rambling ideas.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You seem to be moving your shop setup forward quite a bit! It might be difficult to maximize space in a dual-purpose garage, but it appears like you have a good plan in place. I'm eager to watch everything come together! Please keep us informed on your progress.

• Like 1

Does your drill press not have a clamp ring above the toothed bar? The bar can’t be clamped in place unless you don’t want to be able to rotate your table. 

If it does have a top clamp, you might need to adjust it to remove the play. 

IMG_3764.thumb.jpeg.857fea97f2595eed658ebde95b5a7f1f.jpeg

• Like 2

A minor upgrade to my router table: I replaced the clamps on the fence, which used to clamp onto the edges of the table itself and were always coming off when the fence slide back or forth, with t-track, bolts and knobs. For ease of use, I will replace the short knobs from my stash with some of the Rockler fence knobs next time I get to their store or put in an order.

Q: Can anyone think of a reason I benefit from having a fence 6+ inches longer than the table is wide? Only thing I can think of is milling trim, but I rarely do that and could use a temporary fence if I do. The fence needed the extra length with the edge clamps, but now I could imagine getting/making a shorter one that doesn't stick out into space and get in the way (I don't think I can cut it down cleanly without cutting into the holddown slots which would be uglyish).

PXL_20240305_190215865.thumb.jpg.96cdc0ab202dfe70549546eb418ff3ff.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 6:23 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I can't think of any good reason to keep the fence that wide. The majority of routing operations can be done with a bearing or a guide pin, and don't require a fence at all.

+1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Needed to flush cut a couple pieces of plywood I face-glued together to make a thicker piece and decided to try making a flush-cut fence/L-fence/pattern fence for my table saw (see e.g). I think I remember seeing g-dub has a sophisticated version, mine is basic.

PXL_20240324_192322271.thumb.jpg.0dd89a6b091112ae048c875c4970b938.jpg

It worked well and I was impressed with how easy and comfortable it is to use. The blade is shielded under the fence and running the workpieces against the fence seems fairly idiot proof. Nice to find something from YT that works as advertised. I am not sold the little window to clear offcuts is worth it, but it was much easier to add before assembly than after so I decided to try it.

The result from running the piece you see above on the left through once on each side:

PXL_20240324_192716784.thumb.jpg.31c5821e79f0490b42179da61692ee89.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 11:41 AM, Mark J said:

If I understand the operation correctly, the left edge of the L-fence has to be lined up exactly with the left edge of the saw teeth.  Curious how you set up for the cut?

That’s correct. You can get pretty close by placing a block or rule on the left side of the blade and then sliding the L fence and fence against it . But it is wise to run a piece of scrap along it to make sure the fence isn’t offset to the right (and therefore cutting too far into the work piece). If the fence is too far to the left, you can always adjust and cut again.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 10:45 PM, Coop said:

I’ve never built a L fence as I’m not sure I understand the usefulness of it. As often as I’ve heard of them, I’m sure I’m missing something? 

They are great. You can use them to flush cut patterns on the TS (straight cuts), cut tapers, cut odd angles quickly and safely, and they are also great for trimming splines on mitered corners.

You can make a long push block with some high friction rubber on the bottom, then set the block at any angle on a panel. With the L fence set just higher than the panel, you can tun the block along the fence, cutting the panel flush to the edge of your block. 

• Like 1