Matchfit Sled for Grandpa's Saw

gee-dub

• 1 year later...

I am making a couple more of these and mentioned them in WDYDT.  I looked back at this thread and realized I really blew through it without a lot of details.  To try to add some value I will track the current effort here in more detail.

I plan the DT groove layout based on the ZCI and fence positions.  Using the contractor saw version above I learned that I would like the track pattern to start about an inch from the fence front to back and abouI an inch from either side of the ZCI moving out left and right.

This is the first drawing and close enough for discussion.  Things got adjusted slightly but that drawing is out in the shop and I am setting inside having coffee :P

671347984_MatchfitSled2(0).thumb.jpg.44b1e6acb1523d9119837b1e9ad6fe5b.jpg

In this case the dado in front of the fence position and the dados on either side of the ZCI that will go in get cut as reference slots at the router table.  I then use the hand held router with a guide to cut the rest of the dados using those starting points.

192788559_MatchfitSled2(2).thumb.jpg.9bcce688351ad5cf9213819b6985ea68.jpg

The dados are cut just a bit shy of full depth. 

1235221499_MatchfitSled2(3).thumb.jpg.e290d117e62f743d64d2b35b6823d8e7.jpg

I will then follow with the dovetail bit in the same guide jig taking extra care where the intersections are to keep the corners clean.  It is a lot of hand routing but worth the effort in the long run to me.  Here's where I am so far; just dados, no DT's yet.

1456316740_MatchfitSled2(1).thumb.jpg.4ba47e61cc927753fecb7757979ec6e2.jpg

The plywood strips will get laminated up for the fences.

• Like 2

This version will be 36” wide by ~30” deep. I will have about 25” between fences. The sled that this one will be replacing has 22” between fences. 

I have gotten very comfortable with sled fences 3 1/2” tall simply because that is the height I have used for years. It is tall enough for most vertical work without an auxiliary fence and allows for a good stop block surface.  Unless the sled is quite small I make the fences fairly thick, 1 1/2” to 1 3/4”.  I also like the fence closest to the operator (what I call the "back" fence) to run the full width of the sled.

The fence farthest from the operator position (what I call the "front" fence) I keep as narrow left to right as I feel is reasonable. This fence only acts as a bridge to keep the the separated base sections aligned.  It needs to be adequate to securely perform that job.  Beyond that the less that it is in the way the better :-)

• Like 2

I don't know about that. My current sled design uses a single runner and 2 equal fences, so it can flip around and do bevels one way, straights the other. Limits the size, though. My next one will probably borrow some features from Glenn's. Maybe not quite as many clamping slots, but a replacable insert is a great idea.

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I don't know about that. My current sled design uses a single runner and 2 equal fences, so it can flip around and do bevels one way, straights the other. Limits the size, though. My next one will probably borrow some features from Glenn's. Maybe not quite as many clamping slots, but a replacable insert is a great idea.

I did 1/4" MDF replaceable inserts on the bed and face of the fence, just like Glenn's. They are the bee's knees. I'm going to be putting in some of those slots as well.

• Like 1

Can someone answer me why my sled is always an inch to small for the panel i need to cut? I've made mine bigger a couple times but it always seems to be an inch too small....

Nice sled. I always wondered why this dovetail clamp systems were called matchfit. I just learned that it's because that's what microjig calls those clamps. It looks like a good setup.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:54 AM, Chestnut said:

Can someone answer me why my sled is always an inch to small for the panel i need to cut? I've made mine bigger a couple times but it always seems to be an inch too small....

Nice sled. I always wondered why this dovetail clamp systems were called matchfit. I just learned that it's because that's what microjig calls those clamps. It looks like a good setup.

One of the great mysteries of the ages :D.  I imagine the slots could be modified (or maybe not?) to work with track saw clamps one might already have.  My Makita track clamps do not fit but, I have a few Matchfit so I haven't thought about modifying.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2023 at 8:58 AM, Von said:

@gee-dub Looks like you are using a good quality plywood for the sled. Any lessons learned on what materials work well with the Matchfit system and what materials don't? TIA.

BB ply or similar for things like jigs.  Plywood can delaminate under extreme pressure but the clamps are not designed for that anyway. MDF has also served me well.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 2:22 PM, gee-dub said:

BB ply or similar for things like jigs.  Plywood can delaminate under extreme pressure but the clamps are not designed for that anyway. MDF has also served me well.

Thanks, I was wondering about MDF. BTW, thanks for this whole write up, it's very helpful.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, Mark J said:

It just dawns on me that you could have different inserts for different blade tilts, e.g. 45*.

Yes. When I made these inserts, just like a lot of things related to jigs, I make a whole batch of them. They stand in a bin in the corner near the table saw. They get swapped in and out of service or replaced as required depending on what I’m doing.

• Like 1