How far do you "finish" jigs?

Dax

I'm building the exact width dado jig from one of Marc's vids and I'm wondering how far people go to finish or dress their jigs?

As a beginning woodworker I've spent some time making this thing, cause my skills are developing and I go slow. So it's not going to be one of those jigs or shop helpers that I use once and then trash.

Because it's plywood should I edge-band all the sides so the ply isn't exposed at all? What sealer if any?

What do you do with jigs you hope to keep in the shop for a long time?

I don't think I'll ever be jig crazy with racks and racks of jigs, but I love the idea of taking the time to build something that will help me build something better and easier down the road.

Better...faster...stronger!

Thanks for your advice, ideas and replies,

Dax

I think they really need two coats of paint, a clearcoat, then pinstriping. :)

The few I have that I kept usually have Sharpie instructions written on them. If they get near glue, they have packing tape wrapped on them. Thinking back, though, I think I only have 4 I've kept. Basically ran out of pinstriping.

Since this jig isn't a one time use type, I'd be prone to a few coats of shellac. But, considering everything in my shop is built from plywood and I've yet to edge band any of it, I'd skip that. But, each to there own. However, I do believe the pinstriping helps you work fsster.

• Like 1

Pinstriping is a sweet idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of flames or an airbrushed landscape of the Rockies...you know something tasteful.

OR, since there are two rails that slide together it could be like the back of a Mad magazine. Each rail has a separate landscape scene but, when they come together it makes a portrait of Fidel Castro.

Oh man the creative juices are really flow'n.

• Like 1

I am partial to airbrushed scenes of howling wolves. :lol:

In all seriousness the only jigs I put any finish on are ones that get near glue. I follow that up with wax periodically. As far as what finish it is usually whatever I am using at the time. I have some that have arm r seal, and some have outdoor oil on them.

Shawn

• 2 months later...

If it is a keeper jig, I finish it somehow, paint, poly, shellac, or whatever else I have around. Mostly so it will be easily identiable as a keeper, so I don't cut it up next month and make something else out of it. Also, when I go digging for it, it is easier to picture in my minds eye, if I remember painting it a particular color.

• 3 weeks later...

Anything that I plan to keep and use many times is finished with three coats of spray on clear lacquer. It dries fast, and smooth. It also protects against the weather as most of them live on my screened in car port work area. If I had a nice climate controlled shop large enough for everything, then I'd rethink any kind of finish.

• 3 months later...

For what it's worth, as a beginner myself, I have a hard earned bit of advice for you. Finish it fully....whatever you think you would like it to be. For the same reason you took your time to learn proper techniques when building it, you can take your time to finish properly so you become comfortable in the finishing process.

Just speaking for myself, I don't like "practicing" finishes on scrap wood. Maybe I'm lazy. But since you have a piece you have built, why not practice a good finish on it?

Basically, you don't want the first time you start to finish something to be that first blood, sweat, and tears table you fell in love with building and then you find out you are completely lost.

I'm with PM... Reminders and instructions, waxed slippy parts, and back to work. Most of my jigs are built on the spot, as needed, with MDF, cabinet plywood or hardwood scraps..

I do my test finishes on actual material, as step boards, with notes on the back for later reference. I rarely build jigs with the same woods I build furniture or cabinetry with.