UK Powertools Moved to North America

neiltribearts

Hi everyone.

First of all a big hello to everyone on the forum. I discovered the 'Woodwhisperer' site recently and have spent some time going through the 'back catalogue' of podcast episodes via iTunes. I have only just signed up to the forum and this is my first post. Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere and if my search failed to find it.

I am currently in the UK but might in future be living in Canada. If I invest money in portable powertools here it would be nice if I could use them in Canada in future. So I am wondering if this is going to be feasible. At the moment I am considering the TS55 plunge saw.

http://www.festool.co.uk/Products/Pages/Product-Competence.aspx?foc=ol_tauchsaegen_1835

I seem to have the option here in the UK, when buying Festool products, of buying them in 110 volt in addition to the (UK) standard 240 volt versions. I think that the UK 110 volt versions would be designed for use with the 240 to 110 volt portable transformers that are used on construction sites in the UK. So I got to thinking about whether I could take a 110 volt version from the UK to Canada and simply replace the power cord and then plug it in to a Canadian domestic outlet.

Then whilst pondering this and waiting for Festool to call me back I noticed that people in the US (and Canada?) seem to have 220 volt circuits for their workshops....

I am now more confused than ever. Can anyone comment on this for me?

Thanks very much for any info anyone is able to give.

Regards

Neil.

Hello,

Household electric in north america is 110 & 220. The 220 is typically reserved for electric stoves, dryers, air conditioners, and other large appliances. The rest of outlets and lighting is 110. Working with an electrician, it is possible to have 220 outlets put in to a shop area.

Specifically the TS-55 110V version will work here. The 110V Festools sold in the UK are for jobsite work being run off generators. They work fine here; actually, a lot of people get NAINA Festools shipped from the UK.

If you have 220V in your shop, you can use the 220V version of the tools, too. I know of a couple people doing that with the Vac-SYS. The 110V would be more convenient out here, for sure, since even if you have a garage shop full of 220V drops, the day you need to take your saw to your neighbor's house to, you know, cut his dining table in half after a divorce, you'd be stuck without a 220V drop.

My experience is going the other way... from the US to Germany.

I can tell you this: the voltage part is easy. Wiring for 220 instead of 110 is de minimus. Worst case, you can always get a transformer.

Where you'll run into issues is with the frequency. As mentioned, you have motors designed for 50 Hz, and in North America, you'll see 60 Hz. What that means is that the motors will be running far faster than you'd expect.

I left most of my power tools in the US. The vacuums I've brought are a little less effective, but I get by. I rely on battery tools more than anything. If you're planning on buying, I'd wait. Else, I'd call customer service at the manufacturer and see what they say.

If you have a major tool, like a table saw, etc. you can consider keeping the tool and getting a 60 Hz motor. While that's expensive, it can be cheaper than a new tool.

Hi, and a big thankyou to everyone who took the time to reply regarding the UK to US & CA tool moving issue. You've all helped a lot. Thanks so much. I also called Festool here in the UK and missed their return call. I'll see if I can call them back tomorrow.

To be honest, I am still unsure which option is best, but I have a lot more to go on now.

Thanks again !

Neil.