Looking for a new jointer, and possibly planer

Pwalter5110

To make a long story short, I currently have the 8 inch Jet jointer/ planer combo. As a planer I think it gets the job done. But as a jointer, well I am having problems getting wood straight. There is a chance I am doing something wrong, being this is only my second project building a set of end tables and a coffee table. But my problem with it is there isn't much adjustment, really none at all. So I started looking at jointers and found the grizzly g0452 and the ridgid jp0610. I have read reviews on both and honestly have not found a legitimate complaint about the ridgid. But have actually found a couple for the grizzly. But looking at pictures, the grizzly looks like one heck of a machine. So if anyone here has experience with either. Your input is appreciated.

I have the Ridgid jp06101, which I think is the same as the jp0610. There's no way to adjust the tables to be co-planer. I asked Ridgid, and they said that the tables should be adjusted correctly at the factory, and if they are out of alignment take it to a registered Ridgid repair center. I've heard people say that I can shim the tables, but I'm not sure where I would put the shims.

Also, when I was trying to adjust the tables I was tightening one of the "gib screws" and it snapped.

I haven't given up on it, but if I was doing it over I'd buy a tool with adjustable tables.

To make a long story short, I currently have the 8 inch Jet jointer/ planer combo. As a planer I think it gets the job done. But as a jointer, well I am having problems getting wood straight. There is a chance I am doing something wrong, being this is only my second project building a set of end tables and a coffee table. But my problem with it is there isn't much adjustment, really none at all. So I started looking at jointers and found the grizzly g0452 and the ridgid jp0610. I have read reviews on both and honestly have not found a legitimate complaint about the ridgid. But have actually found a couple for the grizzly. But looking at pictures, the grizzly looks like one heck of a machine. So if anyone here has experience with either. Your input is appreciated.

The Grizzly I have is the G0609X and it's a really nice machine. I have the helical head cutter. Also, this is not a cheap machine. It's beds are flat and square up to one another. The metal isn't what I consider thin. The thing ways 1000lbs. I had to beef up my floor (crawl space). The only Ridgid I have is the Oscillating Spindle Sander and although it's old, its a great little machine.

If you're looking for adjustment the JP0610's not going to fit the bill and I doubt the g0452 will either because they are both NOT parallelogram jointers. I upgraded from a jp0610 to a Powermatic 8" parallelogram jointer (PJ882) for two main reasons driving the upgrade were:

1) I wanted adjustability and it was a parallelogram jointer. After struggling with trying to get the jp0610's tables co-planar, I lusted after the adjustability of a parallelogram. Once I got it into my shop, it took less than an hour to get the two beds coplanar to a few thousandths and the knives aligned.

2) I kept coming home with 7"-8" boards from the lumber yard and it broke my heart to rip them only to glue them back up.

I spent a long time going back and forth between the PJ882 and the Girzzly G0490 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490). I honestly think the G0490 would have worked fine. Why did I opt to go with the PJ882 at almost a $1000 premium? Part fit and finish and part Marc's Powermatic sponsorship being oddly compelling. Either one may be the last jointer you'll ever buy.

I have the Grizzly 490X with parallelogram tables and helical head. I'm happy with my purchase. It took me about 2 hours to get it set up and it has kept its alignment for the 2+ years since. Fit and finish is good, but not as good as the Powermatic. Its not going in my livingroom, so I opted for $1000 less beauty as long as it was functional. The helical heads, even though they are not the Byrds, give me a clean surface.

BTW I also have the G0513X2 planer, also with helical head. It plays well with my jointer.

Are there any General fans in this group?

I have a General table saw and it is nice, but I would not get anything else of theirs. I think that they are just a bit overpriced for my taste. I am sure that they are a rock solid product, but I know that I can get a whole lot more tool for the same amount of money.

And Konkers, the G0452 or the Ridgid are not parallelogram jointers. And I think they are still adjustable, just a bigger PITA to do..

PWalter, I had the same G0452 jointer, w/ the spiral head. I loved it. It was great. Got rid of it to get me a 12", same one as Vic. But it you really want the adjustability, go for the G0604X. My FIL has the Ridgid, and to be perfectly honest, I would pass on it.. I think that it leaves some to be desired. Unless of course you can find on of them for super cheap.

And Konkers, the G0452 or the Ridgid are not parallelogram jointers. And I think they are still adjustable, just a bigger PITA to do..

If anyone knows how to adjust the tables on the Ridgid, please let me know. The manual doesn't say how, I couldn't figure it out, and I emailed Ridgid and they said, "take it to a Ridgid Service Center." See this thread.

My FIL has the Ridgid, and to be perfectly honest, I would pass on it.. I think that it leaves some to be desired. Unless of course you can find on of them for super cheap.

I did get it super cheap - I'd still pass. But, maybe I'm just bitter because so far the jointer has sucked up a lot of my shop time and hasn't helped me do anything fun. It may be that once I get the new blades installed and get some practice, I'll love it. Maybe.

I bought a 6" Ridgid jointer new. I had never used a jointer before and so didn't know exactly what to expect. I still don't, to some extent, but I can report that it worked a LOT better after I had the knives sharpened for the first time. I think the knives were probably sharp when it was new, but that they probably weren't properly adjusted with respect to the outfeed table. When I replaced them after sharpening, I of course did my best to get them set correctly.

So I guess this is mostly intended as encouragement for Beech. If you get some decent knives in it and get the whole thing adjusted right, it might just surprise you. Then again, it might not. I have no idea how much variation there is from one unit to the next. Or maybe mine sucks and I just don't know any better.

-- Russ

If anyone knows how to adjust the tables on the Ridgid, please let me know. The manual doesn't say how, I couldn't figure it out, and I emailed Ridgid and they said, "take it to a Ridgid Service Center." See this thread.

I did get it super cheap - I'd still pass. But, maybe I'm just bitter because so far the jointer has sucked up a lot of my shop time and hasn't helped me do anything fun. It may be that once I get the new blades installed and get some practice, I'll love it. Maybe.

I watched a video somewhere, maybe it was Marcs, but it had someone using very thin shims to adjust the dovetail ways. I will look for it. But good luck with that thing..