Funny, there's no "Wood" forum here?

that, despite the fact that this is the "Wood Talk Online Forum", there's no designated forum to talk about wood...??? Am I missing something?

We have forums for finishing, hand tools, power tools, getting together, selling stuff to each other, etc., ad nauseum, but there's no forum for us to just talk about wood. Where it comes from, what we just bought, its history or provenance, how it works with hand or power tools, whatever.....

So I'm gonna start with this:

Yesterday, I brought home a 4x10x14'8 piece of roughsawn walnut. It came from a local sawmill that mainly deals in pine but gets the occasional log of another species and cuts it for specialty buyers. I first saw it a couple of months ago, talked to the owner and she said I could come by and pick it up anytime, she'd hold it for me. I never could remember to bring a chainsaw but last week I paid for it and had it picked up and hauled to a jobsite along with a crapload of pine. Had the crew cut it in half and finally jammed it into the 4Runner and got it home.

Now I have to wait for the wife to go somewhere for a couple of hours so I can drag it into the basement, run it through the planer(the noise thing, you know), crosscut and seal the end grain, and figure out a way to get it up into on the overhead lumber rack. JIC you haven't had the experience, green hardwood is heavy as lead and it was all I could do to drag it out of the truck... Each half weighs at least a hundred pounds is my best guess. :mellow:

So in a few years I'll have a couple of beautiful pieces of 16/4 air-dried walnut to build something with. What it'll eventually become I haven't a clue but I'm sure it'll find a way to tell me what it wants to be somewhere between now and then. I'm kinda hoping it'll want to be seats for a set of Maloof dining chairs, but who knows? Maybe it'll want to be a Krenov-style cabinet or a Marks-inspired hall table? Maybe it'll just want to be table legs... Whatever, I'll make that decision when the time comes. In the meantime, it's just a really cool piece of Mother Nature that was given into my care.....

What prompted this post was a recent Highland Hardware upload to YouTube: A video history of America's mighty forests . Seems like we may not have exactly done ourselves proud in dealing with the gifts we were given when we came to the New World, maybe we should finally come around and show some appreciation.

So how about a "Just Plain Wood" forum? No metal, no electricity, no chemicals, just us folks talking about wood and that's all? Whadda you say? I know we each have our individual interests and preferences, but aren't we all woodworkers? Doesn't our raw material deserve its own specific forum?

Best to all,

Bill

There are a number of general topics that simply fall into the general category. Wood was one of them. But if everyone likes the idea of a specific wood forum, I can add it.

It's not high on my list, Marc. My posts on wood are always mostly to just show what I've purchased and I don't think that warrants a separate room.

There are a number of general topics that simply fall into the general category. Wood was one of them. But if everyone likes the idea of a specific wood forum, I can add it.

I would appreciate and use a "Wood" category. On a few occasions I've found myself seeking such a heading. While general gets the job done, once I've read one interesting wood question/post, I find myself wanting more, without sifting through other General posts.

Anybody else feel this way? Or think it is not necessary?

thanks all

I would appreciate and use a "Wood" category. On a few occasions I've found myself seeking such a heading. While general gets the job done, once I've read one interesting wood question/post, I find myself wanting more, without sifting through other General posts.

Anybody else feel this way? Or think it is not necessary?

thanks all

OK...if it's more than posts like mine that just are "Hey, look what I just picked up". If people post quality photos of rough, planed and finished wood, along with their experiences working it, I'd love that type of room. Save us all a headache or two, probably. Or, at least, let us know what we're up against if we do choose something we haven't tried.

Yes, I move with the wind at times. ;)

Greate youtube clip, makes for some reflections.

I have also been looking for a "wood" category, and have a post right now that I would like to add. But since it is not available yet? i'l post my questions regarding my 50"+ maple log on genaral wood talk. Need input on how to cut it to get the best woodworking timber.

Best regards

T.Robertsen

Actually, I like the idea.

Just my $.02

I'm still learning about open grain? Why kiln dried is poor for steam bending? Does Longi act more like cherry or mahogany?

This sort of shenanigans.

Not that there is a giant need to a specific area, only that finding similar questions or getting your question answered quicker is what is really helped.

Funny, I was just looking for a "wood" category to share a recent bad lumber experience. I'll put it in general, but I think a wood category would be great - as long as it isn't just all gloats :)

I like the idea as a sort of wood database, where we discuss species quirks and tips/ tricks. (would this apply to created products, as well? Such as the OSB thing I'm discussing in the Turning corner?)

Well, I think its probably OK to talk about sheetgoods in there as well. But if the topic is in reference to the material AND something else, things could get a little confusing as to which forum it goes in. Your post is a good example. So I'd say as a general rule of thumb, unless the topic is dealing with the material and the properties of that material alone, it should probably be in one of the other forums. If someone is asking about finishing cherry, that's a finishing question. If someone's asking about making a mortise and tenon in maple, that would go in the Joinery Room. At least that's how my brain is seeing things right now. :)

Well, I think its probably OK to talk about sheetgoods in there as well. But if the topic is in reference to the material AND something else, things could get a little confusing as to which forum it goes in. Your post is a good example. So I'd say as a general rule of thumb, unless the topic is dealing with the material and the properties of that material alone, it should probably be in one of the other forums. If someone is asking about finishing cherry, that's a finishing question. If someone's asking about making a mortise and tenon in maple, that would go in the Joinery Room. At least that's how my brain is seeing things right now. :)

Works for me, I must be channeling your brain... :rolleyes:

Was loading CDs onto iTunes tonite and ran across another Jersey boy who made good:

1254245272-darkness-on-the-edge-of-town-1978.jpg

And he likes T-Shirts, too!

Thanx Marc, I know nothing happens on the admin side without work and I for one appreciate it!

Now when are you going to move this thread....?

Live long and prosper,

Bill

That don't look like Nicole.

:huh:

Definitely not but he does wear a T-shirt and hails from Joisey...

Marc, I've been married 33 years now and know all about the SHMBO thing... First one only lasted four years but I learned:

1) Keep your brain above your beltline

2)Put the seat down

3)"Honey, I was wrong" goes a long way if you stumble on 1) or 2) above... Or just anytime you feel it might possibly be anywhere remotely near appropriate :huh:

Good example: Man and Woman

Best,

Bill