Which rasping tool?

wjffineww

I'm placing an order through Rockler, and am not sure which rasp type tool to get. There's the regular file type, the micro plane, and also a shinto Japanese rasp. Any recommendations?

High-end rasps like Auriou cut quickly and leave a smooth surface. Less expensive rasps usually cut either quickly and leave a rough surface or leave a smooth surface but cut slowly. In my experience, the Microplanes are the only ones that are effective on green wood. Not only are they stainless steel, but they don't clog either. I don't have any experience with the Shinto rasps.

If you are working dry wood and can't afford a high-end rasp, I would suggest a coarse rasp for shaping. You can use sandpaper to smooth the wood from there.

I have the "made in USA" models of the Nicholson #49 and #50 rasps, which are difficult to find anywhere now. They've been off-shored to Brazil, which makes amazing tan lines, but apparently the quality of these rasps went down so much that Tools For Working Wood that Vic posted dropped the line citing that they didn't live up to previous performance. That isn't to say they aren't good or better than other rasps, but mean the accolades of the name may be for the older versions.

I use a Shinto rasp and like it. Cuts very very quickly.

Lee Valley sells some Japanese mill files that are a favorite. If you get a coarser but cheaper rasp to do most of the heavy lifting, these files will leave you a very very smooth surface and they are actually pretty fast in their own right. The only learning curve with them is if you hold the file diagonally across, say, a handle for shaping is to do so such that the teeth are perpendicular to motion; seems obvious once you notice but if you pick it up in the wrong orientation, you'll wonder why I think they're great.

Great question, wjffineww

I'm placing an order through Rockler, and am not sure which rasp type tool to get. There's the regular file type, the micro plane, and also a shinto Japanese rasp. Any recommendations?

Interesting answer, Paul-Marcel

Lee Valley sells some Japanese mill files that are a favorite. If you get a coarser but cheaper rasp to do most of the heavy lifting, these files will leave you a very very smooth surface and they are actually pretty fast in their own right. The only learning curve with them is if you hold the file diagonally across, say, a handle for shaping is to do so such that the teeth are perpendicular to motion; seems obvious once you notice but if you pick it up in the wrong orientation, you'll wonder why I think they're great.

Thank you for that. I've been dithering over trying those files for some time. Now it looks like it'll be a buy - if I can find them somewhere in Europe...

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have the coarser Nicholson, but its a version made in Brazil. It sucks. I also have an Auriou. It's as good as everyone says! I have a Shinto and it is great as well.

Highland Hardware, Atlanta, GA, is carrying a small, but highly effective file and/or rasp set now. I've bought one high end file from them and now know what a quality cut should feel (and look) like. These new files are supposed to be excellent, but YMMV. Check out http://www.highlandwoodworking.com