Saw Making Class

mlingenfelter

This weekend I'll be taking a Saw Making class from Mike Wenzloff, at The Port Townsend School of Woodworking. It should be a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to learning to sharpen saws.

Mike

I wanted to take that class but did not pull the trigger in time. I was on their website the other and day noticed that almost of the classes are sold out for the rest of the year. I guess I better register early next year. Have fun!

James

Sounds fun! I've sharpened my saws and recently picked up an old saw vise from an antique store. I wish I knew more about the techniques to make them. It would probably make you understand the complexity behind sharpening much better.

Tim

Sounds fun! I've sharpened my saws and recently picked up an old saw vise from an antique store. I wish I knew more about the techniques to make them. It would probably make you understand the complexity behind sharpening much better.

Tim

Tim, I would much rather take a class from Mike Wenzloff, but I know that not all of us can go to his class, so here’s a pdf from the Norse Woodsmith website on his backsaw project. It shows the entire process in making a back saw from scratch. His photographs aren’t very good, but he makes his apologies and moves on. Something to look through if your interested in making your own handsaw.

Another resource is ShopNotes issue 109 (Jan/Feb – 2010). The title is “Heirloom Backsaw” and is covered in 3 articles starting on page 14. On the inside of the back cover, there is a list of resources for the saw materials. I think reading through the Norse Woodsmith pdf and the ShopNotes article would probably be enough to demonstrate that most woodworkers should be able to make their own hand saw.

By the way, one possible efficiency, if you’re not into bending metal, is the availability of brass saw backs from Mike Wenzloff. He also sells the saw blade steel, although the ShopNotes article directs you to McMaster-Carr for the steel blade plate. I don’t know what the comparative quality of the steel is though.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend was the Mike Wenzloff Saw Making class. It was a fun class! If you ever have a chance to take class from Mike, I highly recommend it. Mike is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and his knowledge of hand saws is second to none. I think I'm finally over my fear of putting a file to a saw now! To get people over their fears, Mike had us start out on some practice pieces of saw steel. This really helps, I think I sharpen that thing 10 times. Then he let us keep the practice pieces to turn into scrapers :).

I ended up making a Crosscut Carcass saw, with a Walnut handle/tote.

DSC04409.JPG