Tool Addiction?

Jesse

How often do you wonder "Did I really need to buy that tool right now?"

In the past few weeks, I've been stocking up pretty heavy on the tools. Some new, many from Craigslist, but all filled with a glowing, christmas/hannukah/kwanzaa/election day-like wonder.

Just about every project I start (even the ones I don't finish...), there are a few things that I think "Oh, such and such would be really useful for this".

Don't get me wrong - I'm very pleased with these purchases, but there's always a touch of guilt as I think "I got by this long without this, why should I need it now?".

Is this normal? Is it normal to feel on some level that investing in a career or hobby that you love is some type of guilty pleasure? Is there a toolaholics anonymous for "people like me"?

(OK, so maybe I'm just looking for more people to tell me it's okay to go buy some more tools :) )

It's okay. There are far worse things you could be spending money on. Tools are forever...like diamonds. Except tools are actually useful. I usually rationalize tool purchases with a simple slogan..."With this tool I will build a special gift for someone I love." That alleviates the guilt long enough to get the new toy home, and then I proceed to build something special for myself. :D

How often do you wonder "Did I really need to buy that tool right now?"

In the past few weeks, I've been stocking up pretty heavy on the tools. Some new, many from Craigslist, but all filled with a glowing, christmas/hannukah/kwanzaa/election day-like wonder.

Just about every project I start (even the ones I don't finish...), there are a few things that I think "Oh, such and such would be really useful for this".

Don't get me wrong - I'm very pleased with these purchases, but there's always a touch of guilt as I think "I got by this long without this, why should I need it now?".

Is this normal? Is it normal to feel on some level that investing in a career or hobby that you love is some type of guilty pleasure? Is there a toolaholics anonymous for "people like me"?

(OK, so maybe I'm just looking for more people to tell me it's okay to go buy some more tools :) )

I'm with you! What I've learned is, space limitations genuinely ought to curtail tool acquisitions lest one end up with a museum rather than a workshop with R O O M to accomplish projects. Oh, and remember, we need three of each for "course, medium, and fine" calibrations. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!!!! :lol:

I would definitely put myself in the same category as you, my name is Josh and I am a tool addict. It started when I was much younger, and honestly has only gotten worse. I blame my dad for this addiction, as he has the same problem. I struggle with not only woodworking tools, but mechanic tools as well as I like to do a lot of the work on my vehicles. My attitude is that if I need a tool to do a job, buy the best and next time I need the tool I have it and I fully expect it to last for many, many years.

I have these firm rules, "Only buy the tools you absolutely need for the job." and "Only buy the supplies and wood you're going to consume this weekend."

I don't follow the rules but I have them. ;)

and I have a deal with my wife, when she buys clothes she doesn't need or quilting supplies, I get to buy a dollar equivalent in tools. Okay, she didn't exactly agree with the rule but goes along with it. Makes shopping trips to the mall much more interesting, "$200 pair of shoes? Sure, buy 'em. Did you know I've got a %15 off coupon for Rockler.com at home?"

She hasn't been buying a lot shoes lately...

My name is Darnell, and I'm a tool junkie. It's not a problem, and you can't make me stop.

My woodworking tool kit is pretty near complete, I only need 20-30 more before I have at least one of everything. However, I'm starting to get real interested in machinists tools....

• Like 1

I have tool envy everytime I watch the wood whisperer! Needless to say my wife hates that show!

Lucky me! My wifey actually sat and watched it with me once, and liked it! You just gotta convince her that a woodworking career will let you afford the finer things in life (like powermatic jointers and bandsaws... :) )

Part of the problem is that there are SOOOOOOOOO many paths in woodworking. You buy the jointer and planer to mill your stock. Then you may want hand tools to do some finer work. Want round legs for that table? Then you buy the lathe. Want carved details in your work? Have you seen the amount of carving tools available at Woodcraft? The more you challenge yourself, the more tools you'll need. Everybody has "something" they spend their extra money on - tools just happens to be your "something", so enjoy them!

Sylvia is just happy I only have the one big hobby, although I might get a boat next year and I kinda need a new SLR camera to get back into photography. But, that's it. I swear! No, seriously, my wife is extremely supportive of me buying whatever I need to get me closer to my dreams.