Is it worth restoring

wgeils

worth is so subjective. I have a 1949 shopsmith not worth much financially. its usable and my dad had fun restoring it. was it worth it to him yes. going to be based on what you are planning. keeping them for nostalgia heck yeah worth restoring. wanting to use them in a professional cabinet shop probably not. also resale doesn't seem to me to be very high on antique tools so restore for profit might not be all that great either. I really enjoy old tools. also it someone depends on the kinds of repairs you will have to do too. if the damage is too extreme its not worth it either.

This is kind of like saying is it worth buying this car that I just see on a flyer without any photos at the grocery store... Not enough information to say yet.

Unfortunately, you won't know the costs involved until you really take this apart. It might just need a light dusting. On the other hand, it might need a complete overhaul.

Now, if you don't have any other bandsaw options available to you, I'd say it's probably worth it to restore it (if needed). But if you already have one (or more), this will be more of an occasional hobby to restore it than something that's high priority.

And before you ask, I have never attempted to restore a band saw, so I'm not certain just what might be involved. I've considered it, but I don't have the room for it currently.

For the bandsaw I agree that it really depends on the size, make, and over all condition. If it is from one of the more popluar brands, is a 14" or bigger, and you don't mind using some elbow grease I would say go for it. If your saw falls into this catagory and if you are somewhat mechanically inclined doing the work shouldn't be an issue. Guessing that the tools worked in the 80's when they were sent on a 30yr vacation you probably aren't talking more than a good cleaning, maintenance, and a tune up. The tires are probably in need of being replaced, new saw blade, drive belt, and possibly some bearings and you should be making sawdust. If all is good down the road if you want to do a bunch of resawing you may want to look at upgrading the motor as they used to only put around 1/2hp on them.. 1 to 1 1/2hp will get you all the power you will ever need. About 15yrs ago I found a pretty run down 14" Rockwell and snatched it up, tore it all apart, cleaned it up, put new bearings in it, and threw a new 1 1/4hp motor on and now you couldn't pay me enough to get it from me. It is a 50's model, built a lot heavier than todays, and runs smooth as can be and I can resaw any 6" stock and it won't bog down a bit. Add up the tires, misc bearings, belt, and some paint and you will come in well under any new saw, but it has to be your call. If rebuilding old tools doesn't thrill you let it go, if the thought of breathing new life into your grandfathers old saw sounds like a great idea-then sounds like you have a project.

As for the scroll saw turn it on, if it works take and clean out the old grease and add new grease (I use white lithium) any you should be cutting. If you do decide to get them going remember that there are a bunch of people here that can help answer any question you have or point yoy in the right direction. Please keep us posted in what you decide! Good luck

Nate

My father in law was a woodworker. He died in 1995. His shop burned in 1998 but not completely. His Craftsman 14" bandsaw will need some work and probably $50 but it can be salvaged. His table saw, I still use. The 6" Craftsman jointer/planer took a LOT of elbow grease and $100 for knives and bearings but I resored it. Financially and time invested speaking, not a good move BUT, the tools were Cliffs and he and I were close. Sappy as it may sound, I feel a kinship to him and his work that he imparted to me when I use the tools. The nice, Jet 18" bandsaw I just bought will be the work horse. I may or may not get around to restoring the 14" bandsaw. If you factor in time and bearings, tires, etc. restoration is often not financially practical since the advent of craig's list. It's probably a decision you'll have to make that has some sentimental factors attached. On the other hand, many old tools were heavy and built well and if a few odds and ends make them usable again, maybe go for it?