Groove for Sliding Deadman

kbrunco

Hello gang,

I am attempting to add a groove (5/8-in wide x 1-in deep) to the underside of my workbench in order to install a sliding deadman. I am currently using an old Stanley #45 to do this. I realized that if the groove does not extend the full length of the bench, I will get a nice sloping ramp at the beginning and end of the groove. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the ramp effect? I do not own a powered router nor really care to buy one at this point in the game (eventually I do want a router plane). Please let me know what you are thinking in order to fix this problem.

Simple answer: chisel. You will find it easier to chisel out the ends of the stopped groove first then plow it with the 45. This will give you a relief for the tail and toe of the plane when starting and stopping the groove. If you plow first you will end up with a VERY long ramp and have to chop a lot more out.

Apparently everyone says chisel which is a nice way to go and will get the job done fine but I have an alternative. This is not only more entertaining but it gets better results. You will need a samari sword, coffee grounds, 1983 Buick grand lark, blasting powder, 4 freebies and a pie.

First step send me the pie and ill tell you how to do the rest of the steps

• 2 weeks later...