Saw Blade for Ridgid TS3650

Jwest

Hello All,

I have the ridgid ts3650 with the standard stock blade. I would like to upgrade to a forrest ww2, but had a couple of questions. Does anyone have this saw with a forrest blade? Can I use a full kerf, or do I need a thin kerf? I didn't know if the splitter provided was set up for full kerf or thin kerf. Also, one final question, does anyone notice any issues like bogged down motor with the full kerf? Thanks a lot.

Jack

You can use full kerf, and don't need thin kerf, but a 1/8" full kerf blade is 33% wider than a 3/32" TK and you're motor will definitely work harder to spin it. It'll be most noticeable in thicker materials, which are best cut by a 24T TK blade anyway.

As much as I like my Forrest WWII, I'd also give serious consideration to the Infinity Super General or RIdge Carbide TS2000. The Super General gives a more polished edge, finer crosscuts, and cleaner ply cuts. The TS2000 is very comparable to the WWII but has noticeably thicker carbide.

The people who profit from them would have you believe yes, but the decision should really be made on a case by case basis. A blade of this caliber should be well balanced and run true if spun by a saw with an arbor that spins true while cutting wood that's straight and flat...without the help of a stiffener.

If all other variables are equal, a 3/32" thin kerf blade is inherently more prone to flexing than a 1/8" full kerf version, but it requires some lateral pressure to cause it to happen. If the saw is well tuned and running true, there should be very little lateral pressure, unless you get into some very stiff grained woods like mequite. I think you'll find a minority of decent saws such as yours that would see a benefit from a stiffener. ...especially true of the volumes most hobbyists see. Higher volumes combined with high moisture content can cause in an increase in heat which can also effect a TK blade, but is not something most hobbyists will encounter.

I wouldn't invest in a stabilizer/stiffener unless you encounter some problems, and even then, it tends to act more like a bandaid for the symptom and not a cure for the cause.

• Like 1

Hey Jack, for what it's worth, I have a 3650 running a full kerf ww2 blade. The thickest wood I've cut has been about 1" to 1.5" walnut and cherry with no problems. That being said I have read alot of knotscotts reviews and have bought a number of things based on his recommendations, I don't think you would go wrong following his advice. Pat

I used to own a 3650. I ran it for 2 years using a Diablo thin kerf blade. It was a good choice and one I do not regret. When cutting 8/4 white oak I could hear a definite difference in the motor and had to slow down as compared to my normal cutting speed. I would be hesitant to use a full kerf blade on a regular basis. Frankly my diablo blade was a lot cheaper then my WW2 and worked pretty good on my 3650 throughout its life. I only stopped using it because I upgraded to an older model unisaw.

Well, I've decided to go with the Infinity Super General TK blade. This is the first quality blade I've purchased, so I'm pretty excited. After looking at the stck blade last night, I think it was definatley time to upgrade. Any thoughts on whether or not I should get a 24T TK companion blade to initially round out my options for cutting. I'm hesitant to try and use this blade for everything. I am just a hobbyist right now, but I'd rather buy what I need now than wish I had it later.

If you do much thick ripping I'd definitely grab a 24T TK ripper... it'll spare your motor and your premium blade. (keeping it clean will help it cut better and last longer too). The Infinity 010-124 is a great TK ripper, as is the Freud LU87R010, CMT 202.024.10, or DeWalt DW7124PT. They won't cut as finely as the Super General (or any decent 40T) but will make short work of thick rips, so I'd just grab the best deal you can find. (Infinity currently has a "FALL" promo that takes $10 off an order of $125....that would also qualify for free s/h if you order the SG at the same time). Good luck!

Jack - There are so many effective household ingredients and cleaners that I wouldn't bother with a special blade cleaner. First time I'd heard of Lestoil, but I don't doubt it works....409, Fantastic, Greased Lightning, LA's Totally Awesome, Dawn, Goo Gone, kerosene, TSP, Simply Green (don't soak). For most of these I just spray, brush, and rinse.

Thanks, Knotscott! I used the Lestoil, by the way, and a brass bristle brush and it worked fine. Nothing magical but it did loosen the build-up enough so that I just needed to give it a quick hit with the brush. I wiped it with a paper towel to get most of it off and rinsed it with water.Then I just dried it. Do you treat the blade with anything after you rinse it?

Jack