Got these bad boys for free today, worth keeping?

ryandetzel

Bad news for a friend good news for me. They have to move into a little apartment and he can't take all of his tools so I got to rummage through the stuff he didn't want and take it. :-) The drill press and dust collector excite me the most, the router and two sanders work pretty well but the table saw scares me a little. :wacko: I'm not sure I'll use the bandsaw(is that what this is?). Are these tools okay? They all run and I tried cutting some wood with them and the dust collector all though only 1hp worked to suck up some dust. Could I hook up festools to this dust collector?

Fornster bits look unused and so does the other random sander.

post-5800-0-57663200-1321140454_thumb.jp

post-5800-0-40623500-1321140455_thumb.jp

post-5800-0-91975800-1321140455_thumb.jp

post-5800-0-66175500-1321140456_thumb.jp

post-5800-0-23861400-1321140457_thumb.jp

post-5800-0-74199800-1321140457_thumb.jp

post-5800-0-23002000-1321140458_thumb.jp

Looks like a nice haul, congratulations! If you don't have a table saw, I'm sure that one will work fine with some tuning. The other items all look pretty good. I have a DC similar to that one (different model is all, but a Delta) that I use on my bandsaw and it works well. That small bandsaw might be really useful given that it doesn't take a lot of space. I had a benchtop drill press for a number of years and they work very well.

Hooking up Festools to that DC would be weird as you'd need a splitter to reduce to a decent hose size then adapt that to the Festool tool port. Then add a blast gate to control flow. Awkward at best. Black Friday is next week; I know the big box had their nice orange shopvac on BF sale for just $19 last year. That would be a steal and more functional for connecting to hand power tools.

I've got the delta DC. Works great for one machine at a time - happy to have it in my small shop. I did manage to work out a series of fittings and reducers so I could hook up a random orbit sander to it. Works okay but doesn't get all the dust. Better than nothing but I find it works better on a shop vac. Don't think I'd hook up festools to it - you could be it might not move enough air.

and I have to admit that one of the first stationary tools I bought was a drill press. Lots of uses for that.

Great haul.

I don't know your level of experience with power tools, but I noted your comment about the table saw scaring you a little. If you haven't used one, it should scare you. Find someone to teach you how to use it safely. I think sometimes guys think it is unmanly or something to ask for instruction, but it isn't worth losing a finger or getting a piece of wood thrown at your head. Please take care.

Thats a nice score. What sort of space do you have for a shop?

On the TS....definitely read up on safety, learn to take your time and plan your cuts, and be mindful about using the right accessories (blade guard, miter gauge) and see if you can add an aftermarket splitter.

Ah, let me clarify. Table saws don't scare me..this one does. If feels cheap and light and with such a small table I'm worried about putting anything of mass on it. I'm probably going to build some tables around it and use it until I can afford an actual table saw.

My shop is my garage so space is limited especially in the winter when I want to park in there. These tools are going to have to live out of the way until I need to use them where I'll pull them out. Pain in the ass but that's what I got for now.

That router is 1/4", should this worry me when buying bits? If I buy nice bits for this router and later get a new router with 1/2" am I out of luck?

You are off to a nice start!! My Dad has the same DC and bandsaw. The DC works good and after a bunch of messing around with it the bandsaw works ok. As for the router, the difference is that the 1/2 shank bits tend to have less runout and a lot less chatter. The other thing is the since the 1/2 are bigger they dissipate heat better thus stay sharper longer. Now with that said 1/4 bits are good too, I have both 1/4 and 1/2 bits, if it is a bit that I will only use on occasion I grab a 1/4 but if it is a highly used I buy 1/2. The only reason I am saying this is if you plan on building a collection of bits you may want this info in your back pocket. Have fun with the new tools.

When you live in New England cars go in the garage! There is nothing like waking up at 5am to a warm car with no snow on it. :-) The wifes car..now that can sit outside. ;-)

I hear ya. My 'fun' car gets to stay in the garage, but sadly the other side has been filled with my FIL's stuff for a few years. This past week saw more progress than the previous year - the wife finally got it in her head that she wanted her truck back in the garage for the winter, so at least she'll be in good shape. My truck will still be stuck outside, unless I move my car to a different location for the winter. Hmmm, the covered parking garage here at work is looking like a good storage space, I'd just need to move it every couple days......