Variable-Width Vise Spacer

rmac

What are the little spacers?

1/8" Masonite (or whatever they call it these days). I also put a couple of thinner ones made out of Formica (or whatever they call it these days) on one end for really fine adjustments. I can't imagine ever really needing them, though.

-- Russ

1/8" Masonite (or whatever they call it these days). I also put a couple of thinner ones made out of Formica (or whatever they call it these days) on one end for really fine adjustments. I can't imagine ever really needing them, though.

-- Russ

That's even better than what I was thinking. Great thought.

Reminds me of a jig a friend made to cut feather boards.

• 1 month later...

Now THAT'S a better mouse trap! Colors.....color code them for the most common thicknesses (?)

Yes! I like that!

Another thing you can do is hold the jig up to the workpiece and just use the workpiece itself to flip the leaves that you need into position. That sets it automatically, and works for any thickness, common or not.

-- Russ

• 4 months later...

It would be interesting to know where LV got the idea, and it would be even more interesting to know when somebody first thought of it. I mean, it's such a small leap from a set of feeler gauges to the vise spacer that somebody somewhere must have done the same thing a long time ago.

-- Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I made a couple of them yesterday . After cutting the slats out of scrap 1/4 MDF , drilling and inserting the threaded rod I decided to run the stack thru the drum sander and then rounded over the corners on the router table. Those few extra minutes yielded a device that is much nicer to handle. A client is building a basic workbench and I made him a vise jaw from some scrap 8/4 stock so the second spacer is for him.

• 4 weeks later...