Okay, has anyone tried to sound proof their shop?

ChetlovesMer

If you put it inside the door, you've got the tracks for the overhead door in the way. You either block the door mechanism, or you have to have gaps where noise can get out. If you put it outside the door, your got a nice simple rectangular opening with no mechanism. Essentially, you want two "doors", and if you put them both inside they interfere with each other.

Put another way, if you were putting a storm door on an existing door which opened inwards, would you try to put the storm door on the inside or the outside?

Unless your neighbor is OK with a time frame in which noise WILL occur, I would suggest you go hand tools. You're simply never going to be able to completely sound proof your garage door due to the way they are constructed and used. Sorry there isn't a happier/easier answer.

• Like 1

Vic, I went completely Neanderthal today and did some hand planing for a couple of hours! I was quite impressed with myself :)

Sonic, I own so no restrictions. I could do that, but I guess I'm concerned about re-sale, and/or possibly using it as an actual garage again in the future, so I'm not sure about that option.

These are all great ideas though - I thank you all - keep 'em coming. :)

Cheers and happy Xmas etc.

I just thought of something else. My dad and mom live next door to a guy who does woodworking, mostly cabinets. He made my mom some flower boxes and she loved them. Now they make all kinds of exceptions for the guy and cut him tons of slack for the noise he makes. ... See the idea here?

You catch more flies with honey and your tools don't sound as loud to your neighbors when they are marvelling at some fine piece that was made especially for them.

He also gave my folks his phone number with instructions to call him if at any time he is too loud. They can hear him a lot, but to my knowledge they only called him on it one time and he imediately turned down the volume.

These tips may seem obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people over-look the simple concept that people tend to cut people they like a lot of slack while they scowl at people they don't know.

• Like 1

Very good advice Chet!

I'm already on pretty good terms with these neighbours, but they work night shift, so (I personally feel) that any noise while they are asleep is unreasonable - it's how I hope people would consider me.... Also, the guy is very handy himself... however, he doesn't do fine woodworking, so it's probably still a good idea.