Beginning Wood Worker - Spray Stations?

RobMorgan

Hi there

I am a beginning woodworker and just got a set of tools and working on my first project. Excited about that! As I looked at tools and read about woodworking, it occurred to me that a sprayer may be great for painting and varnishes, etc. instead of doing it all by hand. Planning on doing quite a number of furniture pieces.

I came across the Earlex sprayers - does anyone have any experience with them? They look like great products and one can use them with all sort of different paints, etc.

Here is the link to their site http://www.earlex.com/hvlp.php.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions on them

Thanks

Rob

The Earlex is a fine inexpensive starter spray system. It will spray paint and just like any sprayer you need to follow thinning requirements. There is more to spraying than filling the cup and pulling the trigger. If you take the time to learn the more technical side of spraying the earlex will get you by for awhile.

Don

I bought an Earlex 5000 Pro turbine system used from a woodworking acquaintance last fall. I've used it on 4-5 projects now, mainly for top coating. It is easy to use, easy cleanup, well made and capable of producing fine results. Like most things, you need to practice to develop good technique, and that goes for any spray system.

I think this unit has ben superseded by a newer model that shares much the same components as mine.

Would I buy it again? Yes. Would I recommend it without hesitation? Yes.

There are a number of videos featuring it on you tube.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone..... just finally figured out how to read the replies - ha! So sorry if this is a duplicate to some. I am considering biscuit joining for the shelf. Seemed the best way to go to me.

For the sprayer, I had posted on FB too asking on some woodworking pages and gotten a really good reply to the Earlex questions. One guy posted the following videos, which I think are really helpful and a realistic and good review of the product.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/earlexspraystation5500hvlpsystem.aspx.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-45-music-to-my-earlex/

I think I may go get me a 5500 soon :)

While the Earlex spray station is handy for spraying some products, ie. shellac, water based poly, probably lacquer, latex paint it is not good for. I spent plenty of time messing around with it try toi get a good spray pattern, and what it came down to, was it just wasnt powerful enough. You are going to need at LEAST a good three stage or a four stage to spray latex efficiently. This is just based on my experience. Someone may have had a better experience than I, but I put a fair about if time into it working with thinning agents, water and Floetrol(sp?), with no good luck. Again, just my experience..

I got a 5500 in August, and since you seem to be at about the same point I was, it may be useful to know that I have zero regrets. Before buying it I spent a few stray hours at the local Woodcraft where a firend/employee was willing to patiently let me play around with the Apollo and one other sprayer they had for their finishing class (wasn't a Fuji, something else but I don't remember). After some really great conversations and a few test pieces, I concluded that what Marc has said in his review was spot on. It's straight forward, simple, effective for what it is, and is a great entry level sprayer; if I can get acceptable results, odds are most everyone else can too. Right now I'm in the shellac era of my spraying evolution and after spraying the hell out of a lot of scrap and my last few projects (mostly small, but some big), I'm finally starting to grok the motion/tip/volume/thinning relationship. Most importantly, the Earlex is teaching me a lot about sprayers in general so that if/when I get to the point that I'm willing to spend $1200 on more advanced stuff, I'll know what I'm looking at for the most part. So yeah, it's not exemplary of HPLV systems, but it's not K-mart either. I'd estimate that, much like any other tool, 90% of it's effectiveness comes from the hand that it's in to begin with.

If you do get it, I think only the 1.5mm tip comes in the box. I reccomend getting the 2.0mm and 1.0mm tips at the same time so you'll be able to do a fairly broad range of experimentation. The Earlex cleaning kit was useful tool for the conical brush and nozzles cleaners as well.

• Like 1

The 5000 had about 22cfm and the 5500 has 42. Even at 42 thats about 1/3 the cfm really needed to get a great finish. There are nothing more than a modified spray gun conected to the outlet of a shop vac, keep expectations in check. The systems are a great leaning tool and force you to learn proper thinning and use of modifiers.

Don

If anyone has had any experience spraying latex paint with the Earlex 5000, and has had any luck, please let me know how you did it. I would also liketo see some pics of the finished product. I think that it is something that would be beneficial to the site as well. Thanks.

• Like 1

Just a thought... I have a four stage Fuji unit that has no problems spraying latex paint. That said, I rarely do it.

My favorite way to apply a colored water based finish to furniture is to tint ML Cambell Ultrastar with ~ 20% latex paint, or have my dealer do it with UTC's.

Why do I do this? The water based "lacquer" sprays and dries beautifully right from the can, is self-sealing, sandable, super durable, non-blocking, reasonably priced, and easy to choose or adjust the sheen.

Thanks everyone!

Imaginos - I really appreciate your comment. I like what you said - it's not K-Mart either but not the $1200 dollar models. That seems to be the case as much as I can tell so far. Now, where did you buy yours?

Sac - the point about Latex paint is a good one. Not sure how much I'd paint that but I'd be curious too to know if anyone (maybe Imaginos?) has any experience with that.

I have heard of the Fuji too but in the review / comparison in the videos i have seen, it isn't quite as easy to dissemble and clean as the Earlex. But I haven't used either, so I can't say personally. Just saw the video comparison. How long have you had your Fuji CessnaPilotBarry?

I bought the earlex 3 years ago and its a great entry level sprayer. Sure it takes some trial and error with technique but what new tool doesnt. Once you get your thinning and technique down you will be able to get a high level finish, and dont let anyone tell you other wise. I think some times those who have better equiptment turn their noses up to equiptment that cost less and for get sometimes that we all need to start somewhere and if you do have $1200.00 plus to spend on your shop I think most would agree that a spray system isnt where to spend it in the beginning. Get the earlex you'll be happy.

On another note, When i got my earlex, the first thing i sprayed with was latex. It was pita, and took alot of thinning. So now i donnot use it for paint at all. I bought one of those $40.00 big box gravity feed spray guns that hook to a compressor and spay paint and primer with that. I also agree with the guy that said to buy the extra tips. but i took it one step further. I ordered 4 more canisters that hold the finish while you spray. I use one for shelac or sealer, one for water based stains, one for lacquer, and one for water based top coats. It has worked well for me. I can go from one finish to the other quickly and have less chance of cross contamination. Just make sure you clean the gun in between get the earlex and save your big money for big equiptment

• Like 1

RobMorgan, I bought mine from my local Woodcraft, but they are a little cheaper through Amazon. In fact, not too long ago I saw the next model up, the 6900, on sale for around $400 at Amazon. If you can wait a little to catch one at that price, that's the way I'd go since it's the same gun and around twice the CFM for $70 more.

CJC5151 - thanks a ton for the comment. The idea with getting the extra canisters is awesome. Glad you mentioned that. And I also like the idea regarind using one of the gravity feed spray guns for latex, etc. Either way, sounds like you are very happy with your Earlex.

Imaginos - never even thought of looking on Amazon, but great idea. Will be looking for sure... .and maybe also check on Craigslist. Who knows, right?

I did my kitchen cabinets with my Earlex 5000- it sprayed (thinned with flowterol (sp) ) just fine - I made a "spray booth" by using a big piece of plastic and stapling it onto the ceiling in my garage like a shower curtain. I then hooked up a portable AC and fan and went to town.... worked like a charm.

Lawrence

DSCF0259640x480.jpg

DSCF0277640x480.jpg

DSCF0256640x480.jpg

The Fuji is no different than any other gun to clean, in fact, I think it IS the same gun used by several others. During a project, between coats, I don't strip it. I remove the cup, and rinse the gun, dip tube, and strainer in water with a bit of ammonia, and let it dry. Every so often, the gun is easily stripped down, and all parts are washed, then rinsed in SLX alcohol.

If I miss spots and there is build-up in the gun, the only thing I've found that reliably touches dried water base is Franmar Kleen Again. Woodcraft carries Kleen Again. It may seem expensive, but you can strain it and use it over and over.

My comment wasn't about steering you from the Earlex to the far more expensive Fuji, but to get you thinking about using something other than latex paint on furniture and cabinets. :lol:

I believe if you look thru Marc's videos he did a whole segment on earlex sprayer or something very very similar.

Correct, it was called "Music to my EARlex", episode 45. I believe it was a review of the Earlex 5000, not the 5500.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-45-music-to-my-earlex/

There is another one as well that might be interesting, episode 155 "Waterborne finishes & HVLP"

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/waterborne-finishes-hvlp/

Thanks again! Those are the videos I watched..... really really liked the Earlex based on that and general comments and reviews. You may think I am crazy, but just as I made my decisoin to get one, someone mentioned Graco and Apollo sprayers. UGGGGGG!!! So now, on a new quest - anyone have any experiences with either of these and how they may compare to the Earlex ones?

Chessna - totally cool! After your comment, I even looked at Fujis, but yikes.... just a tad more expensive now, aren't they? :)