Finished Bench Gallery

Vic

Gorgeous bench, Vic. Looks like about 8' long, no? I've been watching your bench come along on your blog for a few weeks (if Marc's the wood whisperer, does this make me the wood stalker?), and it looks amazing. In fact, I like it so much, I'm making my leg vise and deadman with similar angle cuts, and I also like the use of the tung oil finish. Congrats.

Allen

Thanks Allen,

The bench is 10'. I'm glad you like the design elements that I added to the bench. Even though I really liked the idea of using this barn wood on the bench. I'm not really a fan of "rustic" furniture design. I was hoping by adding what my limited design knowledge thinks are Art Deco elements, I could mitigate the look. For this piece, I like the mix. For a wiping type finish, I really love this polymerized tung oil from Sutherland Wells. I need to look further into Waterlox. I've been told that it seems to be the same basic product and is a bit less expensive than the Sutherland Wells.

Gorgeous bench, Vic. Looks like about 8' long, no? I've been watching your bench come along on your blog for a few weeks (if Marc's the wood whisperer, does this make me the wood stalker?), and it looks amazing. In fact, I like it so much, I'm making my leg vise and deadman with similar angle cuts, and I also like the use of the tung oil finish. Congrats.

Allen

Marc,

The biggest takeaways from this project have been a better understanding of both the immense value of actually learning Sketch Up for presentation and it's role in problem solving. Also, the value of mentally going through a process and how that relates to making fewer mistakes and having a more efficient flow of work.

The shop evolved during this build, too. To complete that, I'll need to pull some wire and add a new leg to my DC system.

I know in an earlier podcast, you talk about basically any project can be done by a beginning woodworker, if the steps are broken down and ordered. The thing to seem to master is the flow of work. Just like everything else, that can be learned, practiced and mastered. The value you add to the woodworking community is huge. You provide the closest thing someone can get to personalized instruction. I prefer the online approach to a formal school approach. Smaller technique based classes and seminars are great and have an added value in person, but the infinite access I have to "learn at your pace" online instruction is ultimately more valuable to me.

Congrats on hitting the finish line! The bench is a beauty my friend! So let's hear some of the big lessons you learned on this build. I know I have a few of my own. :)

Awesome job Vic, that is one nice bench that many will drool for. I wish I had the room for a 10 footer, she's a beauty.

Have to agree with you also on the take away from this project. Figuring out and learning how to use Sketchup to obtain the necessary measurements for this build makes it alot easier to build the bench in your head first, then with your hands. When you see how the parts are interconnected it helps to avoid potential mistakes and helps to put together an efficient work flow. It's sort of like a gymnastic warmup and a confidence builder. It's all about layout and coordination of work flow. Marc does a great job of bringing this foward in his videos, very detailed. I justed started this build and already I have a few takeaways of learning experience under my belt. That's Ok with me, keep'em coming. Anyway, Nice job and congrats on a great build. Hope to see more of your work.

Art K

• 4 weeks later...

beautiful bench and a great choice of wood...Many happy, healthy years with this bench.

Wow! Kaiser, how have ya been? I've been busy with life and the shop. I haven't seen you in a LONG while! Thanks for the compliment. I'm really happy with the way the bench turned out. I'm gonna build another joinery bench that I'm gonna mount my Tucker vise to. Since I have the room and the lumber, why not!?! Great to see ya!!