feels like something is missing

Dan S

My next project is raised dog dishes for my two dogs. I have the design done, except for something I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's because I have been working on this for a few hours now, but it feels like it's missing something small. One thing that comes to mind, is potentially rounding over the outer corner of the legs, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Anyone suggestions?

gallery_818_183_21109.png

raisedDogDishesV1.skp

Thanks, I've been messing around in various cad applications since the late 90's so Sketchup was pretty easy for me to pick up.

So, the design has grown on me a little over night. The only minor change I made, was to put a little 1/8" cove on the outer corner of the legs. Opinions?

gallery_818_183_72336.png

Dan,

I think I'd actually leave out the cove on the legs. It'll leave the legs looking cleaner. That said, it doesn't make it look to busy so if you like it, go for it. Either way I'd say it's a beautiful, functional piece, so you can't go wrong.

My next project is raised dog dishes for my two dogs. I have the design done, except for something I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's because I have been working on this for a few hours now, but it feels like it's missing something small. One thing that comes to mind, is potentially rounding over the outer corner of the legs, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Anyone suggestions?

gallery_818_183_21109.png

You could try a small curve on the stretchers. What wood are you going to use?

Jonathan

========================================

So I'm just curious, and you don't list any dimensions, but are you afraid at all that the dogs may tip it over while eating out of it. Dogs aren't really known for their table manners. What kind of dogs are they? I can see the other one that was mentioned that has storage space on the bottom for food and stuff because that would have more weight at the bottom to keep it in place.

That would be my concern, but the design itself is pretty cool.

Of course you could always screw it to the floor ;)

I’m trying to visualize what you might do differently with the top corners, but not sure. Have you tried drawing wider aprons to see how that looks? To me, the aprons do look a little narrow. And, as Johnnynoname suggested, maybe throw a curve at the bottom of the apron, maybe even a cloud lift. :) If you do something different to the apron, I'd keep the bead.

You could try a small curve on the stretchers. What wood are you going to use?

I have some nice clear grained walnut that I'm going to use.

So I'm just curious, and you don't list any dimensions, but are you afraid at all that the dogs may tip it over while eating out of it. Dogs aren't really known for their table manners. What kind of dogs are they?

Dimensions are roughly 20" long, 10-1/2" wide, 12" high.

My two dogs, are pretty well mannered, so I'm not overly worried about them knocking it over. Both my dogs are golden doodles (golden retriever/full size poodle mix) they weigh in around 65 lbs.

Have you tried drawing wider aprons to see how that looks?

I Tried that late last night actually, and felt clunky.

Tomorrow Rebecca get's back from visiting her sister, and she will has the ultimate say in design matters.B)

I Tried that late last night actually, and felt clunky.

Tomorrow Rebecca get's back from visiting her sister, and she will has the ultimate say in design matters.B)

I couldn't tell by your response if you just tried a wider apron or you drew a wider apron with a curved cut out or the cloud lift cut out (or other shape). I'm thinking it would lighten the visual weight of the wider apron to a point of possibly being acceptable and creating more visual interest, but not looking or feeling "clunky". Just a thought.

The design is really good looking. But, you asked for input. I believe I would make the width 12", and the height 10", this would give more stability. My dogs are LARGE Black Labs, and the height greater than width table just didn't work out for us.

At first glance, this appears to be a design that's roughly based on a shaker table. The only area the original design strayed was having the round-over or thumb nail profile on the top of the table. You may want to try doing a chamfer or cove on the bottom of the top, as it helps balance the profile with the legs and give the top more of a light feeling. the bead on the tapered legs isn't something I've seen before, and I'm not sure it adds to the piece (just personal preference).

I don't think it needs anything more. I think it needs the dimensions tweaked. I got this DVD because Marc recommended it. I usually hate "art appreciation" stuff, but this was great. It was short and watchable and gave me tools I could use right off the bat. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, not to give away the ending or anything, but try re-doing it using rectangles with integer ratios. Your front is almost 1:2, but not quite. Try making the front a 1:2 rectangle, and the sides a 1:1 square. that would make the top a 1:2 rectangle and you'll have pleasant proportions all around. That might help with your sense that the design looks "unfinished". You can play around with using the proportions for the whole thing (the outer box, so to speak), or use these proportions for the base and have the top be a sort of "ta da!" on top.

Just an idea.