Wood 'gifts' from family

raruss1

Anyone had an experience like this one?

I came home from work and my brother-in-law proudly proclaimed he gave me some hardwood that had been hanging around his property.

I went into the basement to see and there in the corner is a few dozen big pieces of wood that was covered in powder post beetle holes.

I, screamed inside, but had to stop and figure out how to be polite while letting him know that these pieces were infested.

After he left, i started moving them out of the basement. While moving them, I got hurt, and took off my glasses to look at the scrape i recieved. Then went back to work. Unfortunately, my glasses were still outside and in the spot where the new piece was to be piled. I did not realize this until after i smashed the frames. After some choice words, I calmed down enough to get the wood removed.

Next step was to break it down to burn it. First thought was to use a reciprocating saw but that was going too slow. A few stroke of a handsaw and the flames of my anger rose.

In a bad mood about this ordeal, I got the idea to buck it up on the bandsaw. The problem was the bandsaw had a new carbide tipped blade installed and I was too angry to change blades.

After a few cuts, I kink the blade and ruin it.

My poison gift, cost me welll over $200.

I can laugh now, but there are hystical overtones.

Anyone else have a story like this?

Some days you are the windshield and some days you are the bug.

The worst days I've ever had were because I either got in a hurry or I got mad about something. I've learned that when something goes wrong to slow down and think things through before blowing my top.

Rog

• Like 1

Along the same vein...my inlaws built some new stairs in their backyard. They had some salvaged metal railings they brought to the shop so I could adjust the angle to match the new pitch of the stairs.

Problem was, the bottom 6 inches of the square steel tubing had rusted through in places and was held together with paint. By the time you cut off the crap, the railing would be too short. Plus, the entire railing was a rusted hunk of junk not worth sand blasting in an attempt to salvage components.

I pointed all of this out to my father-in-law.

Take the rails to the dump.

Find out from my wife that her folks are mad I threw away their railings. Despite the structural integrity of moth-eaten balsa wood, seems like they were still "good railings." I am evidently too "fussy" to be entrusted with valuable things now.

Bless their hearts!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

one of my lesson in the class if your frustraited or upset or even overly happly then take a walk and get ot a even keel because strong emotions in the shop will make you rush and make mastakes and probably get someone hurt.

most dangerous tool in the shop is you.

i have seen some cool carving made from beetle wood. the guy puts the wood in a giant microwave that he has at work (dont know what its for but that would be a big tv dinner) kills the pest and then starts carving after the wood has completly dried out.

• 2 weeks later...