Split Top vs. Single Slab - Your Thoughts?

Scott Seganti

This question is geared towards those who have built and are using the split-top roubo. I am curious to know how you like the split top design.

Have you utilized any of the functions the split top offers?

Is the split top design something you could live without?

Have you noticed any cons to having the split top?

If you had to do it all over again; would you rather have a single top?

Thanks in advance for your input.

when I first started researching the roubo I had a real hard time with the spit top. I was fixated with the "traditional" look of a solid slab. However in wanted to stick with the plan, I pushed ahead with the split top. I have to say I am really liking the spilt top now. I use the groove to store chisels and other tools temporarily and thats super useful. I have taken the center out and used bessy clamps. . I hardly notice its a split top. I think it makes it easier to make the slabs (I ran each side over a jointer and planer). It probably made it a little more difficult to get each slab co planer and level but all in all not that difficult. I would definately do the split top again. its really useful in my mind

From Benchcrafted pdf on the split top Roubo “Gap Stop”.

“The Gap Stop fits snugly

between the tops (but still slides

out easily) and serves as a planing

stop, or for any time you need to

work across a board. It rests on

the tops of the short upper rails

and can slide down to either end

of the bench to be used as a bench

hook for cutting stock to length.”

Here’s the Benchcrafted pdf on the Split-Top Roubo Bench Plans if you want to look through it. The quote is on page 6 along with a picture of someone planing across a board.

Also, here’s a quote from Aaron Marshall in an early post during the bench build.

“The split top has a couple advantages I can think of. First, this whole bench is designed to be broken down if needed. When moving, it would be a lot easier to handle a half top. Second and more important to me - if you ever need to flatten the benchtop it's nice to have two separate slabs so they will fit through a 12" planer. You could go all neanderthal on it, but the narrow halves give you the option of using machinery.”

questioning why they would want a split-top workbench.

I have been using a solid top for a bit over a year now that is 21" wide. The narrow width is nice because when you do need to clamp across it you can easily reach the other side. Otherwise I am beginning to hate this width. If I ever rebuild it will be a split top. I can make a wider bench an still have the clamping flexibility of a narrow bench.

I, too, had doubts at first. However, after using it for a while now I really like the split top. As noted above, chisels, saws, squares, etc fit into the gap strip instead of rolling all over the place. The plane stop is handy, and the extra clamping options really do add value. My old bench was a solid top and I find I like the split top better. I glued my end cap in place, so I can't run it through a planer and can't comment on that aspect.

If you find you don't like the split top you could always glue in a filler strip and have a solid slab.

It will be a great bench either way.

I'm glad to hear how well the split is working for everyone. When I decided to embark on the workbench journey, I knew I wanted a split. Frankly, I originally thought that this was a "new" idea. Then I saw a few versions including the Benchcrafted plan. So I decided rather than re-invent the wheel, I would go with a tried and true design. And all the original reasons I selected that style of bench still hold true. I find it incredibly versatile with no real limitations, only benefits.

I use a split top of another design, a 21st Century bench.

I don't think I'd go back to solid, but anytime I need it filled all the way across, I simply flip the tool trays. Any split-top or tool tray equipped bench can be set up to accept a filler, but you can't split a solid top on a whim.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I went with the guild plans but a monolithic slab for the top. I work in a cluttered kind of way, and I saw the gap as just another thing to frustrate me when I didn't need it.

This decision really only led to two challenges during construction. First, the weight of the thing. It has to be flipped over quite a few times during the build, and maneuvering that behemoth myself was harrowing to say the least (I did need two other people to help flip it once the base was attached.) The other issue is during base alignment. With a split top you have the luxury of correcting for minor errors by slightly tweaking the gap while marking out the mortises in the baee. With a monolithic design... well, either be really accurate or prepare for some planing. Me? I'm not that good, so I can only assume I was lucky. :)

I truly don't feel like I'm missing anything without the gap. *shrug* To each his own.