A&C wall hung nightstands

Scott M

After 15+ years of using a repurposed mobile kitchen cart as a nightstand I though it was about time I built something. While I needed to match the Arts & Crafts pieces I already had I thought most of the examples I found felt very heavy and at the same time I was drawn to the modern wall hung styles. This is my attempt to comine the two styles.

While I don't hate it over the years I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a huge fan of the Red Oak that all my other pieces are made out of. While looking into other alternatives I came across English Brown Oak and I have to say it has now become my all time favorite wood of all time, at least for this week. (Sorry Marc, Matt & Shannon I do listen to those other guys).

The top was inspired by a wall cabinet by Nancy Hiller in Fine Woodworking No. 228 Sept/Oct 2012 with a deep overhang and bottom bevel. Unfortunatly because it's mounted so low on the wall you don't ever see it and it doesn't have the light feel that her's did, I should have made the top thinner. Hidden behind the ?backsplash? on the top is a slot for routing cords and the shelf and bottom also have holes going down behind the drawer. I envisioned the shelf as a place for a book or ipad/kindle. The bottom is dovetailed (router jig) to the sides and the shelf is attached with a sliding dovetail. The top is attached with figure 8's. Because of the deep overhang I went with full extension drawer slides although in hindsight that was probably a little bit of overkill. It's attached to the wall with a french cleat made of aluminum that the big box stores sell for hanging large pictures.

post-3823-0-12005200-1355005973_thumb.jppost-3823-0-91176300-1355005983_thumb.jppost-3823-0-12697200-1355005995_thumb.jppost-3823-0-97639000-1355006006_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Really cool nightstands! I like your take on a traditional design in a modern application, it really works. I wish I could find more examples of Nancy Hiller's work. Nearly every time I see a write up of one of her pieces I end up with tons of ideas.

I also LOVE English Brown Oak... If only I could find more of it. I have a sample given to me me by Mike P. of FWW, I think he bought all of it in the area. ;^) I use the sample to try to duplicate the color, but the real thing has such a nice figure. From what I understand, it's actually a white oak that gets attacked by a fungus, along similar lines to spalted woods like maple.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the whole project, the Sliding Dovetail is one of my favorite joints and your looks spectacular!

The dovetails on the drawer look awesome, i wouldn't tell people they were machine cut unless they asked!

I find myself using red oak on alot of my projects, but I had never heard of English Brown Oak. Its truely gorgeous! I will have to look into finding some!

Great job!