Just Showing Off My New SHELIX

thewoodwhisperer

Ack! And I just watched your podcast on setting jointer knives. I am going to buy one of those jigs you suggested (the CANADIAN made one). Congrats - I would love to have a segmented cutterhead.

I have a simple way to adjust planer knives using a board and no jigs. Works great and I can change all 4 in less than 30 mins. If interested, message me your email and I will send it to you.

I have a simple way to adjust planer knives using a board and no jigs. Works great and I can change all 4 in less than 30 mins. If interested, message me your email and I will send it to you.

Why not just post it here? The purpose of the forum is to be a place where we help each other by posting our experiences and ideas.

Ha! People can gloat all they want. No policies concerning gloating. As long as they post a nice picture so we can all drool along with them. :)

I can't speak for estesbubba, but my guess is he's talking about the "trick" that is printed in most jointer manuals by the manufacturer. It was also shown recently in the FWW Tools & Shops issue. In a nutshell, you lay a piece of wood over the cutter head and manually rotate it. As the knife catches the wood, it will walk the board forward a certain distance. When the wood moves the same distance over every section of every knife, you know your knives are all set accurately. There's more detail to the process but that's the basic idea. Correct me if I'm wrong here estesbubba since you might have something different in mind.

Unfortunately, that method never really did me any favors. I use a dial indicator for measurement and I find that to be just as easy and more accurate. The issue for me is not in the measuring, it's in the adjusting. So whether I'm using a piece of wood, a dial indicator, or my bionic vision, it's all the same to me. Accurately adjusting the knives is the part of the process that needs improvement.

Sound familiar? Blade is too high. Loosen gib screws, adjust set screws, tighten gib screws. Now it's too low! Loosen gib screws, adjust set screws, tighten gib screws. Ahh, it's perfect! I'm awesome! Oh Crap! Now the other side of the knife is off! Rinse and repeat.

Why not just post it here? The purpose of the forum is to be a place where we help each other by posting our experiences and ideas.

I want to but it is an old email that I printed to PDF and has personal information. Let me try to remove that and I'll post it.

I can't speak for estesbubba, but my guess is he's talking about the "trick" that is printed in most jointer manuals by the manufacturer. It was also shown recently in the FWW Tools & Shops issue. In a nutshell, you lay a piece of wood over the cutter head and manually rotate it. As the knife catches the wood, it will walk the board forward a certain distance. When the wood moves the same distance over every section of every knife, you know your knives are all set accurately. There's more detail to the process but that's the basic idea. Correct me if I'm wrong here estesbubba since you might have something different in mind.

Unfortunately, that method never really did me any favors. I use a dial indicator for measurement and I find that to be just as easy and more accurate. The issue for me is not in the measuring, it's in the adjusting. So whether I'm using a piece of wood, a dial indicator, or my bionic vision, it's all the same to me. Accurately adjusting the knives is the part of the process that needs improvement.

Sound familiar? Blade is too high. Loosen gib screws, adjust set screws, tighten gib screws. Now it's too low! Loosen gib screws, adjust set screws, tighten gib screws. Ahh, it's perfect! I'm awesome! Oh Crap! Now the other side of the knife is off! Rinse and repeat.

Just grabbed my magazine and that's exactly what I do! I tighten the 2 end gib screws with just a hint of pressure then adjust the jack screws. Once I have each end adjusted using the board I tighten each gib screw a little at time. I've had great luck (and maybe it's just luck) using this method.

I've tried using the jig and springs and never had luck with that.

I haven't had much luck with that 'ruler trick' either. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

@OP -- Thought there was a 'no gloat' policy on this board.... :)

On the contrary, I thought there was an explicit "gloat policy"! :)

Marc - did you already get it installed and running? any plans to give it a test with various figured woods?

Unfortunately, the cutterhead goes into a large pile of things that need to wait until i have some free time. But definitely a priority in the new year. I will film the installation and setup and I can definitely give it a test run. Maybe run some boards with the current setup first and then compare the results after.

Unfortunately, the cutterhead goes into a large pile of things that need to wait until i have some free time. But definitely a priority in the new year. I will film the installation and setup and I can definitely give it a test run. Maybe run some boards with the current setup first and then compare the results after.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm tossing out my request for a decibel comparison again please.