Best video to start with?

Jon Banquer

Definitely, Marc's videos. Charles Neil also has a lot of free videos; just a lot rougher on the video editing, but the content is there if you understand the accent :)

I assume you named Chris Schwarz video because you are or will be primarily a hand-tool guy. What type of videos appeal to you most? Technique videos a little like Coarse-Medium-Fine or project videos where you see a build start to finish with lots of detail? Certainly if you like project videos, Marc's guild and Charles Neil's 'Mastering Woodworking' class both present lots of projects with exceptional detail for every step of the way including options depending on your tooling. Charles also has a project DVD called "Weekend Projects Volume 1" that has two well done small projects in lots of build detail.

With all the choices out there the first question really is where do you want to start? Tool instruction? Design instruction? Understanding materials?

I've always found just jumping into what I'm most curious about right now, helps to direct me to where and what I need to do next to either get there or move on to the next subject.

With all the titles out there and all the content online you shouldn't have a problem finding something to check out.

Definitely, Marc's videos. Charles Neil also has a lot of free videos; just a lot rougher on the video editing, but the content is there if you understand the accent :)

I assume you named Chris Schwarz video because you are or will be primarily a hand-tool guy. What type of videos appeal to you most? Technique videos a little like Coarse-Medium-Fine or project videos where you see a build start to finish with lots of detail? Certainly if you like project videos, Marc's guild and Charles Neil's 'Mastering Woodworking' class both present lots of projects with exceptional detail for every step of the way including options depending on your tooling. Charles also has a project DVD called "Weekend Projects Volume 1" that has two well done small projects in lots of build detail.

I named him because I watched Marc's video interview with him and I like his delivery and background.

Very hard to quantify what kind of video appeals to me most. I think teaching is an art form and honestly most videos and most books don't appeal to me or work for me. Marc's videos do appeal to me and do work for me. I'm through 37 of his videos. There does't seem to be much on planing or pairing. I found one video Marc did on pairing and it's very brief but it did get my interest in wanting to know more. Don't think I've seen one on using a plane from Marc.

I think what I'm after is to not make the same mistakes I made when I started as a machinist. The biggest mistake I made was that my CADCAM skills were already very advanced when I started and I quit a job making lousy money doing manual machining / toolmaking and took one that offered a large jump in pay working in an engineering department. Because of this I didn't get the proper foundation and later on this really had a negative effect on my machining career as I had to go back and try and make up for it. I would not recommend this approach to anyone.

Taking a cue from Marc's positive approach I will say that I have seen parts of a David Charlesworth video and a Charles Neil video and perhaps I'm not quite ready for what I saw in those particular videos. Not as positive as Marc but I'm trying. ;)

Finally, I'm not sure I wish to be either a hand tool guy or a power tool guy and I think we both know what happens when you resist this urge and try to ride the middle of the fence. (that would be a precision fence) :lol:

I do like the idea of taking some classes but I want a little more hands on first and the Ashville, NC area is a long plane trip that will require me taking some time off.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

With all the choices out there the first question really is where do you want to start? Tool instruction? Design instruction? Understanding materials?

With a solid foundation, even if the real world doesn't allow use(or frequent use)of many of the elements in that foundation. Right now the foundation seems to me to be sharpening, planes, chisels, scrapers, materials and probably things I'm still not aware of and have no clue about so I reserve the right to modify this list. B)

With super limited space and a lot of research so far I've only purchased the bigger Festool track saw and their multi-function table and that's all I have purchased. I think a Festool router and vacuum is on the horizon. I went with Festool because I can see and feel the difference and for me I think it's worth the extra money. If I had advanced woodworking skills I might not feel this way and might very well have gone for far cheaper tools.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

With super limited space and a lot of research so far I've only purchased the bigger Festool track saw and their multi-function table and that's all I have purchased. I think a Festool router and vacuum is on the horizon. I went with Festool because I can see and feel the difference and for me I think it's worth the extra money. If I had advanced woodworking skills I might not feel this way and might very well have gone for far cheaper tools.

Ah, you took the green pill. After the pill, the horizon always has another green pill. :)

I have a lot of Festool posts on my blog about MFT enhancements and creating a decent splinter guard for the TS-75 (same saw as you). You might find some useful; none are a rehash of something I've seen elsewhere.

I can't think of other videos to recommend now knowing more about what interests you. Either of the guilds with their project videos would be helpful even if you can't build along as they will show you lots of technique and give you and idea of what tooling or tooling options you'd need for a particular option. Plus if you watch a couple projects, you might be able to decide which parts you really liked (sliding dovetails!) and didn't (sanding!) for choosing more specific videos after.

Ah, you took the green pill. After the pill, the horizon always has another green pill. :)

I have a lot of Festool posts on my blog about MFT enhancements and creating a decent splinter guard for the TS-75 (same saw as you). You might find some useful; none are a rehash of something I've seen elsewhere.

I can't think of other videos to recommend now knowing more about what interests you. Either of the guilds with their project videos would be helpful even if you can't build along as they will show you lots of technique and give you and idea of what tooling or tooling options you'd need for a particular option. Plus if you watch a couple projects, you might be able to decide which parts you really liked (sliding dovetails!) and didn't (sanding!) for choosing more specific videos after.

For sure I succumbed to temptation. I'm a very easy mark for someone who's observant.

I'll now be spending a ton of time reading your blog for everything MFT related and asking questions.

Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned it. ;>)

You can always ignore my questions and I promise I won't hold it against you!

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

For sure I succumbed to temptation. I'm a very easy mark for someone who's observant.

I'll now be spending a ton of time reading your blog for everything MFT related and asking questions.

Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned it. ;>)

You can always ignore my questions and I promise I won't hold it against you!

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Ask away; likely not in a thread like here, but PM me.

While they say "MFT" stands for "MultiFunction Table", I think it means "More Festool Temptation". That's my take on it.

If you had to recommend the best woodworking video to start with would it be:

Coarse, Medium and Fine: Fundamental Woodworking Techniques by Christopher Schwarz

What else would you recommend for video to someone who was a total newbie to help give them the proper foundation?

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

In a word: No.

Second question: Google is your friend.... Or sign up for a class

Bill

Hey I love sanding! :)

You, sir, are nuts. Even if you are using a Festool ROS for sanding. :)

To Jon: If you are looking for a video to get you started on hand planes, then Coarse, Medium, and Fine is a great video to get started. This video originally started as an article that you can read here. But the video is well worth watching, again if you are interested in learning about hand planes.

To Jon: If you are looking for a video to get you started on hand planes, then Coarse, Medium, and Fine is a great video to get started. This video originally started as an article that you can read here. But the video is well worth watching, again if you are interested in learning about hand planes.

Very nice of you to help me out by posting this link! Hope I can someday return the favor.

I have already printed out and read the entire article. I'm sure I'll read it again a few more times. His writing style really appeals to me and holds my interest. His article answered a lot of my questions and gave me much needed direction.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA