Jointer Safety

JohnT

This is a little tip I read a few weeks ago that I wanted to make sure to pass along, especially after watching a few other woodworkers lately. The article was talking about jointer safety, and said to look for guards behind the fence, and if there isn't one you need to be especially careful. I thought that guards that covered the blades on the backside were standard but I was looking at a few the other day, and when I was playing with them I saw that there were indeed no guards on some of them, so the closer the fence was moved to the front, the more width of the blades were exposed on the back. I have watched how some (including myself) use the fence to hold a board against it with fingers on the other side unseen and close enough to give me the shivers, so make sure to pay attention to where your tips might be.

Yeah I nearly always have my jointer set for full capacity. But man what surprise that would be if you move the fence and you aren't even thinking about the blades in the back. Thanks for the heads up John!

I learned this back in Jr. high wood shop class with Mr. Bergstrom. Always keep the jointer at full capacity and anyone who used the jointer to make a rabbet would be kicked out of class.

Always a good reminder though.

Another reason to be very saftey consious in the shop. My jointer is only running when there are no other people in the shop, or the others are well aware of what I am running through the machine. I sure do not want to be called "Stubby" for any other reason than I an somewhat short in stature.