tool rest

man of wood

the tool rest for me is usualy just below center and then i can angle my tool somewhere between there and the top.  some tools have a sharper angle bevel and needs to be higher up on the wood where as others have a sharter bevel and need to be use more strait on like a scraper.

It depends heavily on the tool, the desired cut and the work piece.  So no, there isn't a golden rule, but I think the goal for most (80/20 rule) is to get the cutting edge about center of the work for best results.  The tool rest will need to be different for each tool to get that result. 

• Like 1

could you please give me an outline of the standard tools. I'm learning the lathe and have been doing spindles for practice. I have been going online watching u-tube to get some tips. I'm putting a sharping system together, and I need to tie it all together.  If there is a good place for info please let me know.  I don't expect you all to write down all the info I need to know,,,,,  I have no problem reading and watching the info if I know were to go.  Thanks again

If this all sound scattered, that is because it is.......  I have been in woodworking for a long time to the pointe were I mill all my own wood and build what I want.  I have been staying away from lathes for about 30 years because that is the one tools I have no idea about. Now I have one (great deal) I'm doing my best to learn it right.

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

could you please give me an outline of the standard tools. I'm learning the lathe and have been doing spindles for practice. I have been going online watching u-tube to get some tips. I'm putting a sharping system together, and I need to tie it all together.  If there is a good place for info please let me know.  I don't expect you all to write down all the info I need to know,,,,,  I have no problem reading and watching the info if I know were to go.  Thanks again

If this all sound scattered, that is because it is.......  I have been in woodworking for a long time to the pointe were I mill all my own wood and build what I want.  I have been staying away from lathes for about 30 years because that is the one tools I have no idea about. Now I have one (great deal) I'm doing my best to learn it right.

Thomas

try out different angles, heights and distances away for different tools. there are many times where i will adjust the height a few times with the same tool just because i need to cut differently or what have you, thats why its adjustable, because you need to change it up for different tools, different work pieces, and different cuts. I learned simply by trying out different stuff and taking note of what worked and what didnt, figuring out how a tool is supposed to take off wood and then accommodating the edge to how it wants to cut. i never found any golden rules for turning, or if i did i didnt listen to them, i do what works best for me and what works best for my tools, if someone else tried to replicate everything in my set up it probably wouldnt work well for them. There is nothing wrong with pulling something hot off the lathe and burning it if it turned out poorly, i learned from my screw up pieces a hell of a lot more than pieces that magically turned out awesome.