Attaching Workbench Top?

RJsumthn

I am building a new workbench and I am thinking about how I will attach the top which will be made of kiln dried 2x4's laminated together. The legs will be made from some 12/4 Poplar. The attached pictures are of the design I did in SketchUp (it was my first time using SketchUp to don't be critical about the drawing). Ideally I would like the bench top to be easily replaced since it will only be made of softwoods and can't afford to use hardwood on it right now. I was thinking a couple big wood screws would work but I don't know if that would hold up to the lateral forces of hand planing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was also curious the left side of the table with the 18" overhang of the top for a front vise and whether or not that will be strong enough to hold the front vise or will if cause it to sag over time. Thanks. Oh and if you see any major flaws in the design please let me know.

post-7772-0-01588000-1359765236_thumb.jp

post-7772-0-88570700-1359765283_thumb.jp

post-7772-0-94354000-1359765291_thumb.jp

I saw your post duckkisser. I don't see myself putting drawers on the bench unless I were to set them back at least 4 inches. I see myself clamping pieces onto the bench and also if I decide to put holes in the top, I don't want the drawers getting in the way of the holdfast. I might however make a shelf with the bottom stretchers.

I saw your post duckkisser. I don't see myself putting drawers on the bench unless I were to set them back at least 4 inches. I see myself clamping pieces onto the bench and also if I decide to put holes in the top, I don't want the drawers getting in the way of the holdfast. I might however make a shelf with the bottom stretchers.

im planning on dropping my drawer box down several inches so there is a gap.  then i can clamp, have hold fasts, and it will catch chips and dust that fall through my dog holes from carving.

duckkisser - That is a good idea. Maybe It wouldn't be a bad idea to put a big drawer where the gap is to catch the chips and dust so you can pull it out to clean it instead of having to reach up there with a vac or brush to get the dust. And also make the drawer easy to take out for when you do need to clamp something to the bench. Or instead of a drawer make it just a big sturdy tray so it can catch the dust, be easily removed, and if you take it out and turn upside down on the top of the bench it can be a riser block for doing intricate work so you are not bent over so far. G S Haydon - Coach screws also be a good idea. With loose tenons or dowels, could wood expansion be an issue? I know you can make screw hole bigger to account for wood expansion but it would seem to me that might allow the top to shift slightly. Maybe if I just put a dowel or loose tenon on the back side of the table and then put screws on the front side (with bigger holes in the legs to allow for wood movement)? I think that might be the best bet, it will secure the top and prevent lateral movement but still allow for the wood to movement.

To address one element of your design:

I don't think you'll have problems with sag on the 18" overhang, but you'll probably have stability issues...not wood stability, but bench stability.  Marc released a Guild video in the Roubo series about why his original bench sucked, and one of his biggest complaints, aside from limited workholding abilities, was that the whole bench moved around too much when he was using the vise for particular tasks...and his was built with hard maple.  He could lift the opposite end of the bench off the ground by applying just part of his body weight to the vise end.

If you're dead-set on that design, I'd at least make the whole thing substantially thicker, or save up to buy hardwood...the 2x4s from the box stores are extremely light, and you won't have enough mass to keep the bench planted when you're working agressively on something.  It'll work for 95% of your tasks, but it's going to be frustrating at times when it won't stay put.  At least consider using a hardwood for the base, and upgrading the top in the future.  You should be able to find maple or ash for decent prices if you do some research...or even red oak...or any hardwood besides poplar.  The stuff is just too light for a bench, IMO.

I'd also recommend allowing the SPF lumber to sit in your shop, stacked and stickered, for a month or two before you start working with it.  Their idea of kiln dried is basically "not sopping wet," and if you build your bench with that stuff as soon as you bring it home, I can almost guarantee you'll regret it, if a flat top is something you desire.

Thanks Eric for all the advice. Yes, I know the weight will be an issue. I face that issue with my current bench and I put a 100lbs sand bag on the bottom and that took care of it. I might do the same for the new bench. This will not be the last bench that I build. This is my first project using mortise and tenon joinery and actually milling lumber completely flat and square. So this bench is more to gain experience. I could have just milled and cut mortise and tenons on scraps but this way I will have something to show for it. Unfortunately I've already started to mill and glue the 2x4's. But I didn't have the expectations of a dead flat top since the bench will be in a garage without climate control so even if I got it dead flat to start it wouldn't stay that way for long. I hope to get a couple good years out of this bench but either way I am gaining invaluable experience and knowledge. After all it is Get Woodworking week!!

Thanks Eric for all the advice. Yes, I know the weight will be an issue. I face that issue with my current bench and I put a 100lbs sand bag on the bottom and that took care of it. I might do the same for the new bench. This will not be the last bench that I build. This is my first project using mortise and tenon joinery and actually milling lumber completely flat and square. So this bench is more to gain experience. I could have just milled and cut mortise and tenons on scraps but this way I will have something to show for it. Unfortunately I've already started to mill and glue the 2x4's. But I didn't have the expectations of a dead flat top since the bench will be in a garage without climate control so even if I got it dead flat to start it wouldn't stay that way for long. I hope to get a couple good years out of this bench but either way I am gaining invaluable experience and knowledge. After all it is Get Woodworking week!!

You could also fasten it to the floor.