Chest of Drawers - My first big build

tonydem

Heres a photobucket link to the chest of drawers ive been working on for my sisters quickly approaching first born which will, for a time, double as a changing table, then become my nephews chest of drawers for his youth and hopefully longer......

ive asked many of you questions and tips regarding this process and greatly appreciate the help i have received and would like to provide you with a chronicle of my progress thus far.....   

thanks again and check this out starting from the day i picked up my first real hardwood order to where i am currently

http://s922.beta.photobucket.com/user/tonydem/library/Chest%20of%20Drawers

• 1 month later...

Looks great, Tony. It's nice when your first big project doesn't have to go on the burn pile. Keep up the good work.

I just saw your post about living in Grand Bay. I live off of Dawes Rd. in West Mobile. Work has been slow around here for a couple years but it seems to be picking up a little. Do you get down this way often?

thanks guys   i appreciate your feedback

Nice work Tony.

Simple and clean lines look great. I have not seen much red oak work before. Is that just d o on the red oak or is there a stain too?

Haydon, its just watco DO and arm-r-seal semi topcoat

Lookin' good!  Rachel Ray was smiling upon your work.

always....   ;)

Looks great, Tony. It's nice when your first big project doesn't have to go on the burn pile. Keep up the good work.

I just saw your post about living in Grand Bay. I live off of Dawes Rd. in West Mobile. Work has been slow around here for a couple years but it seems to be picking up a little. Do you get down this way often?

I lived in Grand Bay when i was younger...  its been a few years and ive only made it back once but honestly, no family or friends that i remember i really have no reason to go back...  lived there for 3 yrs as a navy brat

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I want to remind folks that this particular part of the forum is intended for critiques. There's nothing wrong with the usual "atta boy" style comments in general. But in this area, the idea is for us to actually critique the work. That's why it's a sort of "post at your own risk" kinda place. That isn't to say I want people to be mean, rather, I hope we are able to provide thoughtful critiques and feedback instead of just pats on the back. Know what I'm sayin'?

That might explain why I haven't posted any of my stuff here. :)

• Like 1

In that case...

It's nice, Tony.  I love simple pieces and this one looks soundly built.  The finish looks great and I think the application of the Watco mostly accounts for the mellow color.

I prefer the straight grain of the drawers to the flat-sawn cathedral look of the rest of it, and I probably would have tried to make the whole thing of that rift-sawn stock.  But I'm not a fan of flat-sawn red oak, and that's just a matter of taste.

I may also have made the curve at the bottom just slightly more subtle.  But that's hard to say without being able to compare it to any other curves, and only seeing it from one angle.

Overall, nice piece, especially for your first big build.  Great job!

In that case...

It's nice, Tony.  I love simple pieces and this one looks soundly built.  The finish looks great and I think the application of the Watco mostly accounts for the mellow color.

I prefer the straight grain of the drawers to the flat-sawn cathedral look of the rest of it, and I probably would have tried to make the whole thing of that rift-sawn stock.  But I'm not a fan of flat-sawn red oak, and that's just a matter of taste.

I may also have made the curve at the bottom just slightly more subtle.  But that's hard to say without being able to compare it to any other curves, and only seeing it from one angle.

Overall, nice piece, especially for your first big build.  Great job!

in the design stage i decided to use rift for drawers and flat on the large surfaces (mainly for cost reasons) but as the picture doesnt quite show, i also made my cuts to expose the quarter sawn edges for the legs, partition, and shelf supports as an added touch.....     

after i finished i pretty much decided i really dislike red oak and probably wont use it again any time soon for sure....

as for the arch on the apron.. the chest was actually 4" taller but when i first did my dry assembly i got an idea for how massive it came to be....   so i decided to lop the 4" from the bottom...   overall i was pretty pleased with the result..  

but again   im tired of looking at red oak

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I want to remind folks that this particular part of the forum is intended for critiques. There's nothing wrong with the usual "atta boy" style comments in general. But in this area, the idea is for us to actually critique the work. That's why it's a sort of "post at your own risk" kinda place. That isn't to say I want people to be mean, rather, I hope we are able to provide thoughtful critiques and feedback instead of just pats on the back. Know what I'm sayin'?

That might explain why I haven't posted any of my stuff here. :)

kind of geekin' out that Marc has seen MY work...