handtool workshop

h3nry

SInce I've just cleaned up the garage after finishing my current project, it seemed like a good time to take some photos of the workshop.

It's a single-car attached townhouse garage, and about half of it gets used for woodworking - the other half is usually full of bicycles.

I was lucky when I moved into the house, the previous owner had had some kind of workshop in there, and the big full-width bench and cabinets at the back were already installed.

It's a compact little woodshop, but it seems to meet my needs at the moment.

post-4067-0-95792700-1395356566_thumb.jp

post-4067-0-63203400-1395356577_thumb.jp

post-4067-0-23778800-1395356591_thumb.jp

The couch isn't supposed to be a permanent fixture - I'm just storing it for a friend - but I kind of like it there. Perhaps if I keep it a bit too dusty they won't want it back. It's a great place to sit and contemplate my next move while watching glue dry.

Thanks guys.

The pipe-clamp front vice works really well on larger pieces, but racks horribly with small pieces that don't extend down as far as the pipes. The tail vice is the Veritas inset vice, which was super easy to install and use.

I'm afraid the flooring is nothing as nice as hand-made 1800's - it's some kind of 1970's synthetics, but is so much nicer than just bare concrete.

Eric - I think I missed your joke about my Jointer plane? It's actually the best bench-plane on the shelf being a pre-war Bailey while the others are all Groz.

Looks like it's got a broken tote, no?  That's what I was talking about.  Maybe it's just the pic...

Good eye ... there is a chip off the top of the tote - it's still comfy in the hand though - but after 80 years of service that's its only battle scar.