opportunity for OLD cabinet table saws

EdgewaterWW

Rockwell Model 34-761 Unisaw right tilt, 92" rail, 10" Table Saw, not sure what is age is (1985?), the only label is "Rockwell Unisaw" 

And the other saw is

Powermatic Model 66 left tilt, 25" rail, 10" Table Saw, it is a 1966

Both TS need a lot of love (hours of work), rust on tables, new fences, etc.. I can't test the saws because the auction house doesn't have 240v 1 or 3 phase.

Just with that info which saw would you go for?

I got the Rockwell 34-761 Unisaw, for a STEAL $155, plus taxes. It's local to me so no shipping, Maybe some more pics on Thursday or Friday, if my truck doesn't do a wheelie getting it home.

And yes what really is a 110" rail.

P.S. the PM 66 went for over $550 and I found a few problems, so I didn't bid.

post-13759-0-77411000-1398300186_thumb.j

post-13759-0-52610700-1398300202_thumb.j

Yep ya done good!

3 phase in a home shop is not a big deal if you have 220v. I know the subject has been discussed to death but if one has some basic understanding of electric power and some wiring skills, it is easy to make a 3 phase generator and industrial equipment on 3 phase sells for a lot less than the exact same tool in single phase as most people include changing the motor in the purchase price.

I got the saw home on Thursday, it was not as hard as I planned for. I got the rails and the ext table off, then a forklift put it in my truck.

WARNING  watch out for the forklift/driver, I got lightly pinned between the tailgate and foftlift.

With the saw home still in the truck, I removed the table top, motor and a few more parts. Then it was lighter so two of us picked it out of the truck and put it on a furniture mover.

post-13759-0-07388700-1398525334_thumb.jpost-13759-0-41791800-1398525352_thumb.j

post-13759-0-18178700-1398525378_thumb.j

Checking all the little things like the motor wiring box.

lol, thanks guys for the ideas. It's 110" overall about 92" right side rip.

I love and hate having my truck in my 800sf garage, love having the room for a big TS when it's not in the garage and hate the winters if the truck is out and I have to clean off the snow or put the truck in and it pees in the garage (snow melt from undercarriage).

So with that said not sure if I have the room for a table that big (92" right side) on the TS.  I'm think about selling it and going with a about 52" right side rip table and using my TS55 to break down big panels.

I know someone is going to say "depends on what you are going to use it for."  I'm a Woodturner and a hobbyist woodworker, so I don't know. Cutting boards? haha :lol:

I know my Delta contractor TS with 30" rip is to small at times.

@Steve it's a 1980 Rockwell Unisaw 3hp 3ph, I will be buying a Teco FH50 VFD to keep/use the 3 phase at home.

What are you running with 1 or 3 phase?

I have a 1 1/2hp 120 volt UniSaw and a 3 hp 240 volt one as well. Both single phase. I put an Excalibur 61" capacity sliding table crosscut on the 3 hp saw. A 51" rip Vega pro fence on the 1 1/2 hp saw has been a joy to use for over 20 years.

So the 3hp 240v is a 240v single phase motor? not a 240v/460v 3 phase motor (my motor) with some "black magic" to run single phase? VFD or ?

I've been holding out for a Powermatic for fear that Delta will go out of business.  

Will Unisaw users have an outlet for basic maintenance parts - at least - if this happens?

As Doug demonstrated here you can get a good saw for next to nothing with a little elbow grease.

Please update us Doug, with pics or video as you make the transformation into a fine running machine. 

I've been holding out for a Powermatic for fear that Delta will go out of business.  

Will Unisaw users have an outlet for basic maintenance parts - at least - if this happens?

As Doug demonstrated here you can get a good saw for next to nothing with a little elbow grease.

Please update us Doug, with pics or video as you make the transformation into a fine running machine. 

Yeah parts have been a problem with Delta. After being unable to get parts for a Delta Lathe made in 2009, I said I would not buy a Delta again. But I did, finding parts for the 1980 Unisaw is fun, since the Unisaw didn't really change from 1939 to mid-2000's, you can search other model #'s / years for parts. 

Good thing the only parts I need (knock on wood) paint, rust remover and a big can of elbow grease!  :lol:

• 1 month later...

A Rockwell Model 34-761 Unisaw right tilt, 92" rail, 10" Table Saw, not sure what is age is (1985?), the only label is "Rockwell Unisaw" 

And the other saw is

Powermatic Model 66 left tilt, 25" rail, 10" Table Saw, it is a 1966

Both TS need a lot of love (hours of work), rust on tables, new fences, etc.. I can't test the saws because the auction house doesn't have 240v 1 or 3 phase.

Just with that info which saw would you go for?

Do you happen to have a miter gauge for the Rockwell you would be interested in selling?

$155.00?  Were you wearing your avatar outfit when you bid on it, holding a rosewood handled square?  You terrorist you!  You scared those poor folks!  Great find, and it comes with a 110" bed, that you can use now that you've been kicked out of the house!