Pantry built like a refrigerator

wdwerker

Client wanted a pantry built like a refrigerator so he could open the doors and see everything that he had available. Nothing hides behind something else. I found commercial piano hinges rated for 500 lbs. I built the doors and frame out of 1" thick maple. The inside edges had to be beveled down to 3/8 to allow for the doors to swing and clear . After I hung the doors I climbed on one and rode it back and forth a few times !

post-6363-0-71876100-1404050644_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-58997000-1404050672_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-19789300-1404050689_thumb.jp

Used the same finish to match a furniture style piece I built for them years ago. I designed it to make the best use a restricted space.

post-6363-0-42911300-1404050711_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Swings on hinges alone. Heavy duty hinge and lots of the longest screws possible. It didn't sag at all when I stood on the bottom shelf and went for a ride. The face of the doors is 1/2" maple ply set in a dado. Dominoes in the corner joints. I used the largest magnetic catches I could find. Spent a lot of time getting the hinges and frame perfectly square and level. Any position you stop the door in it stays there.

I use Formica sample chips as shims then screw thru the hole so they can't slip or shift. Walls were very square and plumb to begin with but the floor wasn't level at all. Took several hours to level and shim until the doors met with a consistent gap.

• Like 1

I use Formica sample chips as shims 

Very interesting! We just redid a home office and had to remove an old formica desk that wouldn't fit out of the house. I figured out how to disassemble the desk down to smaller components, then took it out in pieces. I pointed out to my dad that they used formica samples as shims for the drawer slides. Good on you for being resourceful! I have also seen guys use playing cards to level out the slate on a pool table. Awesome job Steve!

I have to take wdwerker to task over this beautiful job! And, it really is a beautiful job!  My argument with it is this:   My wife was looking for something in my desk when I pulled this up to look at!  I guess you know the result?  Yep, she want's me to build one like it!   Gravity sucks!

• Like 1

The doors are about 3 ft wide x 6" thick and 76" tall with a 4" toekick. I put a 3 1/2" board hanging down to keep the cats out of the pantry. 1/2" ply face is in a dado 1/2" in from the front so you get 5" deep shelves. Pocket screws and screws in the front lip attach the shelves.

The hinges are from McMaster-Carr 3" by 6ft item number 1569A942 I got the ones that were already painted black. They don't list a load rating but they were about $38 each. Another source that was out of town had the same thickness, length and hinge pin listed the load. McMaster had them in stock in Atlanta.

Making the doors wasn't that hard but you have to be real careful building the frame and hanging them. Draw a curve the radius of your door swing to see how much angle you need for the back corner to clear the other door when it swings.

We were replacing bifold doors and there were studs in the walls to screw the frame to.

I recognized the knife wrap from a picture in another thread and looked beyond it to see a custom cutting board that was in that same other thread ...

Really nice job Steve.  Glad I don't have a wife to look over my shoulder when I'm looking at stuff like this.  Then again, just might want one for me, but I have enough other projects absorbing my time.