Crosses

osgw380

This is several pictures of crosses that I have made over the last year.  Most are only 12'' or so in height.  Various different woods were used black jack, walnut, maple, purple heart and cedar mostly.  I made a pattern so that I glue them up as a square blank and trace the template out cut then use the template and a pattern bit in the router for the final shape.  The curve ones are alot of fun it puzzles people on how I do them but its actually really simple.  I used the cutting board article in fww about a year ago as the inspiration for the curves.  I use a curve template and route a groove through the wood.  (You must use the same size bit as the strip you putting in to keep everything lined up.)  Then I cut through the groove on the band saw or jig saw then I use a pattern bit make it smooth with the groove made with the router.  Then I glue the two pieces back together with a contrasting strip in between let dry and repeat a couple more times.  I have been making these as gifts and have been selling a few as well.  

post-597-0-32199200-1405784833_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-92792100-1405784856_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-08568400-1405784872_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-36538400-1405784891_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-99810500-1405784923_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-66576700-1405784971_thumb.jpg

I was checking out your work, great workmanship! I have always wanted to work with my hands to create something of beauty out of something ordinary and unnoticed! Great job!

Somehow throughout my life I was always pushed away from it... There was no money in it.. It wasn't about the money though! People just didn't get that! Instead I wound up in a Finance position. Within several months regretting not following my heart and desire. 15 years later, I now have a fresh start to choose the occupation that will bring me satisfaction. I was told 4 years ago that I was not going to live much longer due to a 5cmm mass, extremely rare Cancer, in the center of my brain on top of my Brain Stem.. as of 2 weeks ago I was informed that there are no active cancer cells, cancer free.. I'm currently unemployed and have lost all of my licenses, I'm pretty much starting to look for work as the first time in my life.. Individuals usually don't get a second chance to choose their career path in life. I’ve turned my misfortune into an opportunity to do what I have always desired to do!! I’m telling you all this because I can see you put your heart and sole into your work. Don’t ever give that up to increase your income or for any matter, you will regret it severely later on in your life! I now have no experience, education, or contacts in the world of woodworking, yet I’m going to start this with eyes wide open!! Continue what you do, would love to see more photos of what you create in the future! If you would email me some pics for inspiration, that would be awesome!

Steve  

Steven.J.Kilianski@gmail.com

Thanks for sharing your story Steven. Building items is my release I can be in the shop all day and think I've been there only a short time. I have a job I love also and woodworking is just my way of being creative. I have always given things I've made as gifts or charity fund raisers. Just this year after several requests I've been selling a few things. I've found setting prices the most difficult part of a project. You have found a great website for learning about woodworking marcs videos are great and you will find a very positive attitude and people willing to help in the forums. I can't image the new outlook you must have on life you sound determined and that is inspirational.

I'm new to the Queens, NY area and was wondering if anyone has some information about this area. I'm tryin to find somewhere, something, someone for me to learn this skill. Mostly I have come across schools that offer classes, unfortunately they're a bit heavy on the wallet! I'm living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building with my wife and young son so working in my home is not an option. Wish I had a garage to work in, at this point I'll even settle for a Dog House! Any information or guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Steve