perfectly flat cylinders

duckkisser

i just finished making some rolling pins and i was having trouble getting the entire pin flush across the length of it.  a rolling pin must be flat to truly roll flat bread dough. but i figured something out if i use my random orbital sander i can sand the length of the rolling pin and get it completely even.  dont know if that is a trick anyone else wants to use but it worked really well saved me from  have to measure every inch and carefully take off tiny amounts with my gouge. no trial and error just got realy close and the 5" sander pad got the pin super flat.   

Before resorting to the sandpaper, use a straight stick coated with graphite to locate the high spots. The closer you can get with a chisel, the less sanding. A 1 inch or larger skew in a planing cut works best.

You can also use a flat board with strips of sandpaper attached with either self adhesive or spray adhesive. You only need a couple of grits (80-120) to get the cylinder flat.  The you can hand hold the finer grits to refine the surface.

A final note - some rolling pin designs use a slightly crowned cylinder for better control.

When I made a rolling pin a few months ago I turned the cylinder similar the way you did. About every inch I took a parting tool and cut down close to the final thickness, checking the depth of cut as I went with a spring caliper. Once that was done, cut the rest to thickness and sanded smooth.