Alternatives to Lock Miter Bit for boxing lally pole cover

ajs432

So I'm a newb and I have a project I need to complete to finish my basement.  Lally pole cover boxes go for $130 online and essentially they just send you some lock mitered MDF and some masonry screws.  I figure I should be able to buy the bit and save a ton of money and just do it myself.  Well, cheapest well reviewed bit I can find is $80 and I don't have a router table which it seems like is a necessity for this bit.  So looking for alternatives that would be strong enough to hold up to someone leaning on this thing with nothing but cleats on the floor and ceiling and the column itself.  Any suggestions?  Looking to spend $50 or less, otherwise may as well pony up the $130 for the pre mitered boards.  Tools I have at my disposal: Table Saw, Circular Saw, Compact Router, Compound Miter Saw, plus dowel jig and the usual hand tools.

you can do this on the table saw with a mitered spline joint, you cut the 45deg. miters on all your pieces leaving the 45deg. angle on the saw put the fence on the other side of the blade, now lower the blade and adjust the fence to make the spline slots. Now make your spline stock and it will look something like this practice on some scrap to dial in your technique.

med_gallery_2926_751_68669.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Coop, I hear builders say lally column.

I wrap cylindrical steel by cutting square blocks of stock after drilling holes the size of the column through. I can use the blocks as glue or nail supports. The wrap is then fully braced on the column with no need to fasten to the concrete.

• Like 1

K Cooper I saw that video too, but I also read that you aren't supposed to have any wood touching the pole, would also need to buy a pretty hefty bit to bore a 3" hole in the wood which would probably be just as costly as the lock miter bit.

Death By Potato, what kind of support did you use, this looks amazing..  I just feel like gluing and tacking a straight 45 miter to make the box won't be that sturdy if someone leans on the thing with any force.  Like I said still a noob so I may not have a great feel with how strong different bonds are.

Lots of ways to do this.  One way is to make a simple mitered box and add a glue block in each corner.  Long grain to long grain glue joints are as strong as wood, so you shouldn't have a strength problem.

column.png

This is a top view, and you are looking at the end grain of all the pieces.  The corner blocks can run the full height of the column.

<So I'm a newb and I have a project I need to complete to finish my basement.  Lally pole cover boxes go for $130 online and essentially they just send you some lock mitered MDF and some masonry screws.  I figure I should be able to buy the bit and save a ton of money and just do it myself. >

Piece of free advice from someone who's been there... If your requirement is a high-degree of fit/finish, then don't attempt to make these yourself until you've got some experience.

The responders have all provided solid advice, but without tuned-up tooling and some experience, it's difficult to execute seam-free miter joints over an 8' span (read as you won't be able to do it -- not on all 4 corners -- not over an 8' span). These guys make it look easy, because they've got the experience to make it look easy...

Shop around for column covers -- there are pre-assembled octagonal covers all glued-up, sanded, primed and delivered as two 4-sided halves -- the two components have tongue/groove joints to assist in final registration for glue-up.

Yes, they cost money. But if your requirement includes fit/finish, then in the long run it will be cheaper to just buy the fit/finish -- trust me on this -- like I said above, been there and have the battle scars to prove it.

4-Square, where is the fun in that?  I have nothing but time to sand and a large tub of wood putty, haha.

Beechwood, Just looked into glue blocks, I think this is going to be the way to go.  Thanks everyone, I'll tell you how it went after the weekend!

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys, I've been busy preventing my basement from flooding because we don't have a pump. Anyways, my column was anchored on top and bottom with big L-brackets. Attached up top to the header, attached on the concrete floor with tapcons. Also notice that the wood column is not touching the concrete. it is about 1 inch off the floor. Once the tile was done I put my base and shoe on. It's solid as a rock, Its a glued and screwed box underneath and trimmed with a face frames mitered around the corners and moldings to make it all pretty. Feel free to drive screws into the main box, just make sure they are in an area that will get capped in the face frame or molding.  I've seen a couple of heavyweights lean against it to have conversations, so that'll tell you something. 

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys, I've been busy preventing my basement from flooding because we don't have a pump. Anyways, my column was anchored on top and bottom with big L-brackets. Attached up top to the header, attached on the concrete floor with tapcons. Also notice that the wood column is not touching the concrete. it is about 1 inch off the floor. Once the tile was done I put my base and shoe on. It's solid as a rock, Its a glued and screwed box underneath and trimmed with a face frames mitered around the corners and moldings to make it all pretty. Feel free to drive screws into the main box, just make sure they are in an area that will get capped in the face frame or molding.  I've seen a couple of heavyweights lean against it to have conversations, so that'll tell you something. 

Ah I see, so you screwed at the edges but it didn't matter because it was covered by the molding.  Makes sense.

K Cooper I saw that video too, but I also read that you aren't supposed to have any wood touching the pole, would also need to buy a pretty hefty bit to bore a 3" hole in the wood which would probably be just as costly as the lock miter bit.

Lots of ways to skin the cat but want to come back to this FYI. A four inch hole saw bit for a drill costs less than $20.00

• 1 month later...

So as a quick update, I ended up going with a kit I found online for $130/column.  After the cost of white boards and the bits I would have needed it just made sense.  Also came with molding so a huge time saver.  What I ened up doing was making a simple collar the size of the inside square to hold it in place, glued three sides, a quick few screws to hold in place and then used a healthy coat of Great Stuff and then glued the fourth side.  Came out great, I'm 300lbs and I leaned on it and it didn't budge.  Will send pictures after I get the second on up this weekend.