Use current lumber rack or better solutions for new shop?

I'm building a new dedicated shop which will have 10' ceilings. In my current garage shop I have a lumber rack that holds a lot but is 4x8' and actually 4x10' footprint with the longer boards as pictured. 

Shop16-800.jpg

Here is a rough layout of my new shop with this lumber rack in the upper right. 

post-8178-0-16084100-1407073366_thumb.pn

It seems convenient as new lumber can go through overhead door and right into it. My mobile UTS just in the door is what I use to break down the lumber. So I thought all was well but have been thinking some more. First the cyclone might be better in the corner and not have as sharp of a bend to the table saw, jointer, planer, and drum sander. Second with 10' ceilings and no windows on the back walls it seems the upper space would be great for lumber. Then there's the dust collection ducting which eventually I'll have more than the bandsaw on that wall. So then the back wall upper storage doesn't sound that good.

My final thought was putting the cyclone in the corner and doing vertical storage between it and the overhead door. Are there any downsides to vertical storage over horizontal? 

I don't know much about cyclones but my guy feeling is it makes the most sense in the Northeast corner. Not pictured but the Southeast corner of the shop will be the electrical panel and air compressor. 

Personally, I like a more open rack.  You're going to have lots of room in your new awesome shop so, have some more choices. The pic is one of the racks in my shop and I've done the same think high on the walls at other places in the shop as well.  Simple/cheap DIY construction that works well.

Pgbkuw.jpg

I went to a auction where they had a stack of cherry and walnut that I got for 25 dollars probably had couple hundred board feet. But the people were in a huge biding war over pine 2 bys and some oak boards. Most of them didn't even realize that there was a second auction going on in the barn. And those that were there were only interested in construction materials.

With the sheer volume of lumber that you have, it may be necessary to keep the same design.  The design like TIODS showed is good and it's more open but it doesn't look to have the depth for the lumber you have and you'd have to have a lot of wall space dedicated to lumber storage.  I think I'd keep the same design for the 1xs and made a cart of sorts for the plywood storage.  I saw one the other day that was made like a box on its edge.  1x12s vertical and horizontal (in an L shape) sandwiched in between 2 pieces of 1/2" ply.  It had 4 castors under it. This is the part that would work for you. One end is fixed to a vertical piece of 1" pipe and that's fixed to the wall with pipe flanges.  So the cart basically pivots away/rolls from the wall in an arc.  With the lumber rack you have and with the way you have your ply stored, that cart would serve you well.

I also went with the Triton system but quickly changed it to an industrial warehouse based system where steel racking is sat directly on the ground.

The Triton wall mounted system is a good one but didn't suit me. 

Have a look at the experiences I had with it here and its replacement here