Need router setup guidance

flyfish04401

If you are using a router table, I 'd use one of these and set your fence to allow for 1/16 depth.   You could also do it without a router table by clamping a straight edge to your stock so that the side of the router rides against the straight edge and only lets the cutter get 1/16" deep.  I have had better luck with a slot cutter than a straight bit, which tend to easily snap when they are that small. 

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-63-100-16-Inch-Cutter-4-Inch/dp/B0002TUCRA

The answer to your question really depends on a lot of things.  How close is the slot to the edge of the workpiece?  What bits do you have to work with?  Are you willing to purchase a new bit to do the job?

If the slot is close enough to the edge of the work piece and you either have or are willing to purchase the slot cutter then that's definitly the way to go.  Use the set up explained above.

If it's too far from the edge then the slot cutter won't work and you'll have to use a 1/16 straight but.  To do that you just set your bit hieght to 1/16 and your fence to the proper distance from the edge of the work piece and make the cut.

if you have a Dremel with the router guide attachment this kind of small job is perfect for that.  I haven't done much woodworking, I am brand new to most things, but I have routed little grooves as small as 1/16 of an inch with my dremel without any trouble, I just used a straight edge as a guide and went slow. it does tend to burn a bit so be careful.  but if a noob like me can do it anyone can :)

Thanks, all... but, I left a crucial part out:

I am working on my first custom trout landing net for my son. The shape is a traditional teardrop with 10" handle. Because of the shape, I cannot use a fence. My guess would be a 1/16" slot bit with a bearing that controls the depth to 1/16" but I'm really at the mercy of you experts as this is uncharted territory for me.

I've attached photo.

Thoughts?

post-16087-0-32808100-1409687413_thumb.j

If you wanna do it like a caveman you could probably use a string inlay cutter.  I'm not sure if they make blades in exactly 1/16", but you can probably get close enough.  Create your groove from both sides and you can get perfectly centered and exactly 1/16" with a little trial and error.

05K1101v02.jpg

you can get larger guide bearings, whether or not you can get one big enough to end up only at 1/16" depth, I really don't know.   You could also try improvising with a few large washers to act as a guide bearing.