My classes start next week

Mzdadoc

Not in Bloomington, but I was thinking about taking the local Woodcraft's cabinetry class to brush up on any tips as I'm looking to get a house soon. But I'm going to wait on it a bit. I'm in a transitional phase of my life where my current lease is about up and I'm not resigning, instead I'm temporarily moving back home while I seek a house and gather a down payment. Basically all my stuff is going into storage - woodshop included - so I'd rather wait and take the class then as it will be my only opportunity to do ANY woodworking until I find my own house.

I've been to the Bloomington store once for some tools when they had a sale but it's a long way to go and I can't get there after work so it means a special weekend trip for me.  There's a Rockler near Maplewood not too far from my work in downtown St Paul so sometimes I'll run there during lunch.  Haven't ever taken a class and don't typically see something on the list (I get their e-mails at least a couple times a week) that interests me. When I do it's usually priced at a level I'm adverse to considering.

Appreciate the thoughts but most of the classes being offered tend not to be things I'm interested in or, to my way of thinking, overpriced for the skills they're offering to teach.

I also don't want to impart the idea that I know everything.  However, because of the training and jobs I've had I've developed great problem solving and process development skills.  If I don't know how to do something I rarely have trouble figuring it out on my own.  I've found some advantages to that.  I can't tell you the number of times an "expert" has taken a look at something I've done first the first time, self taught, and been told that what I've just done is not a beginner skill and I shouldn't have been able to do it.  I truly believe that not knowing what the stumbling blocks should have been made me more successful than if I'd know all the ways it could go wrong in advance.

I'm rather fortunate in that I have two Rocklers and one Woodcraft near by. The classes aren't cheap but but I can say the quality instruction is there and all of my local trade schools cater to the younger or unemployed since they're all during the day.

I am SOOOO jealous! I would give anything to just visit Rocklers. Probably a good thing I can't though. I'm good at convincing myself that I really "need" that tool and will be sure to use it. (lies, lies, more lies)

• Like 1

I am jealous! Enjoy the classes and learning a slew of new skills.

One of the things that really stuck with me from Marc's TWW videos is that, as good as he is, he's a perpetual student, and still takes classes when he can.

I'm looking forward to hearing your updates and the new skills you'll be adding to your arsenal (as well as all the new gear you'll just HAVE to buy to use them all! )

:)

• Like 1