Rescued the Stanley family from certain demise

nod

ok, the title is overly dramatic, but I was so excited by my score! Made it to an estate sale/liquidation of a contractors shop the other day. Frankly, I thought all I was going to see where old Rockwell power tools and beat up jobsite stuff. While everyone was eyeing those, they were passing up the goods. SCored this Stanley family - 220, 4, 5, 6 plus a wee miller falls block plane. A couple braces (one pexto, one stanley SH), a nice (diston? need to check) saw that was recut and sharpened to 8pt, and grabbed these two handles since they were cheap and so cool. I know most of you may rebuild and make your own handles, but if someone is in need, please let me know!

post-14137-0-60807500-1410828198_thumb.j

post-14137-0-18329000-1410828211_thumb.j

post-14137-0-65521900-1410828220_thumb.j

Looks like a sweet haul!

I sure thought so! the prices were right as well. At least to me. Funny tho, they just charged by size on the planes. Larger plane = larger $. The no4 is pretty sweet in my noob opinion ($15 I think). these are well below what I was finding on eBay and the likes. And, it seems as though he took pretty good care of these too. I'll show some more detailed pics as time allows. I also picked up some odds and ends like a few jeweler type rasps, screw extractors, the veritas angle set ($3 at most. maybe). Plus some beautiful drafting tool kits. One I presented to my illustrator who's been working hard for me. 

Felt so good to jump on these given the power tool deals I missed out on. Now.. if I only had time to play with all these goodies. I need to get this closet build wrapped up. speaking of which... I better get that last coat of poly on... 

Clean them up, sharpen them well and another generation gets to enjoy the feeling of iron slicing wood !

I have a few tools from my grandfathers shops and I treasure them. I know they both would prefer a tool to be used than just sitting in a basement rusting. I think most craftsmen feel this way. Be proud to be a part of a chain that will hopefully continue for generations to come.

• Like 2

Be proud to be a part of a chain that will hopefully continue for generations to come.

Cheers to that. At worst, they are small trophies in my hybrid garage for a short bit and on to the next shop. At best, they get used, just like they were built to do. I'm very satisfied to be acquiring tools that have lived a long life ahead of me, and will hopefully be living a long life after me. From what I recall, the No4 is a bit older too. Need to revisit and research more.

I wasn't really in the market for another No5 (since I got an eBay version a few months back), but from what I hear, I should have two with different setups anyhow. ;)  I don't have a 4, but the equivalent Millers Fall 9, so at least these mostly fill gaps in the shop.

The one I was bummed to pass on was a beat up No8. No handles, and a broken mount where the front went. Too bad it was so hammered. I can't recall if it was this sale or another, but there was an ad about a LN bu jack and block plane. I'm guessing that went quick.