Finding tools, inexpensively

Jim DaddyO

I met this guy a couple of years ago at an annual flea market  Turns out he lives about a 10 minute drive from my house.  He goes to flea markets and other events buying and selling tools.  Not to make a fortune, bu to keep himself busy doing something he loves.  I scored this little pile of stuff for $60.

house029_zps844b9642.jpg

The little saw is being cut up for my kerfing plane build.  The 192 took about an hour to tune up.  All in all a good deal and only my second visit out to see him.  

When I made arrangements to go see him I asked if I could take a few pics of his "shop".  He agreed, so......

Braces, egg beater drills, a few levels right up top

house001_zps88e4c575.jpg

The levels are in the bottom of this pic, a few saws up top

house002_zps2fc0d371.jpg

Continues in next post

and so it goes

Even more planes

house009_zpsa3df855c.jpg

and more yet, I backed up a bit to show that is does go on for a bit

house011_zpsd4f57096.jpg

I resisted going through this box, it was difficult

house012_zpscc190671.jpg

Some weird finds too.  Oh, and Stanley calls their totes "handles", at least on the packaging

house014_zps12e04c01.jpg

need a drill press?

house015_zps5b9581ef.jpg

more continuing.....

This is a rabbit hole I have yet to enter...I could get lost with these things for years

house016_zpsd8789f6b.jpg

Bow saws

house018_zpsb7fa3f55.jpg

I came close to buying this one for $25, but I recall the Blood and Gore pages saying to stay away from the aluminum bodied planes,  and I am looking for users, not shelf decorations.

house022_zpsbdb6330a.jpg

Some things need a bit of work, but there is lots of selection

house023_zps59903145.jpg

sheaves

house026_zps9d89e46c.jpg

So, that is about 2/3 of the barn.  I think this dude has the ultimate in tool gloat.  I have a hard time restraining myself when I get there.  He has a Stanley #45 in there in nice shape, with 2 wooden boxes of blades for $100 that I am interested in.  He has another the same, only in original packaging for $200 also. It is like new.  He does not have everything, but there is a good variety.  Everyone that is into hand tools (on the cheap) needs to find a guy like this.  A couple years ago I bought my bench planes from him and got them all for $115.

DSC_4541.jpg  

#'s 3 through 7 and a block plane, and he threw in the sweethart marking guage.

I hope you enjoyed my little adventure.  I had fun. 

• Like 1

Not sure what each individual tool is.  Part of the fun is going through the barn and finding things.  The owner is an older gent who loves tools.  Buying and selling them is his retirement hobby.  He spends quite a bit of time getting them in shape for shows/ flea markets/ exhibits and otherwise keeping himself occupied doing something he loves doing.  I have taken a couple of trips through his barn and bought tools that were easily brought up to "user" status.  Going back for another trip is guaranteed.  I have to wait until my shop build gets done though because I have to put all this stuff somewhere.  I could easily spend a day going through all the boxes, shelves, drawers and cubby holes discovering what is there.  

• Like 1