Spike.com Furniture design challenge

Well, I've watched both now. Surprisingly, Framework didn't annoy me a bad as I thought it would despite the massive induced drama (..."YOU WILL BE ELIMINATED!!!!" ((IF YOU SUCK)) Ellen's seemed a little less drama, better furniture (Jory's hammock was cool). I thought they said they have 48 hrs on Ellen's vs 24 hrs on Framework. The Ace wall of clamps, glue and duct tape is definitely trumped by the Jet, Festool, CNC, metal forge, wall of accessories and workbench setup (and army of helpers) of Ellen's

I have not seen Ellen's show, but I have watched all the episodes of Framework aired so far. The tension, drama, and animosity on the show appears very much contrived.

I've also watched the interview the Drunken Woodworker did with Lacy Campbell. She seems like a very nice person, with more knowledge and skills than the show seems to indicate.

From this, I think that everyone on the show is not the cut-throat jerk they make them out to be.

Well.... except for Freddy. And he is so over-the-top, and given so much attention and influence on the show, I think he is a "plant" put there to stir the pot.

And, as all have indicated, the signal-to-noise ratio with regard to actual woodworking is very disappointing.

EDC had way less drama. The guy tipping over the stool in frustration and the designer arguing with her carpenter but all that took up less than a minute of airtime. I didn't understand the stool tipping incident (why not pre-drill the hole) and am assuming it was selective editing. Ep1 of Framework was 95% drama but has toned back gradually.

I think he is a "plant" put there to stir the pot.

I believe so too.

Oh... I also have to add that every time just before they reveal this week's project twist, I say in my coolest deep voice, "... using Graham Crackers".

Thanks for lodging that in my brain, Vinny.

I think it's hilarious, though my wife grows weary. :)

• Like 1

the stool tipping incident (why not pre-drill the hole)

LOL Really.  I said exactly the same thing when he was all sweatin' it.  "How about a pilot hole, moron?"  And my wife was like, "what's a pilot hole?"  I said don't worry about it...you're not on a nationally televised TV show as an alleged expert in furniture.

I can't help but think how much potential there would be if the show crossed over into internet video.  Have the tv show with all its fake drama and have in depth videos for each project that people can check out.  With the tv show driving views to the videos they'd do well on the ads on them.

What a great idea for additional content!  They could provide detailed videos for each persons project.  They have to have this footage and could even do like time-laps with go pros for each project for not a lot of investment in time or money (this only works because they have designated build spots.  +1 this idea

My DVR missed the entertainment center challenge so I just watched it last night online. (btw, I find it baffling why spike shows every other show 10x week but airs this only once.) The flip table/tv was pretty cool if you lived in a tiny house and wanted to hide your television, not much application outside that. It was still leagues better than everything else.

I think the judges fubar'd that challenge by focusing too strongly on innovation. A/V components are still boxes and anything that holds them will be a box to hold boxes. The real innovation has to come from technology.

- Rick M, sent via Tapatalk

I think Raheel is the plant... I heard them say he's only been doing this for 6mos! How the hell did he get picked to be on a show like this... The whole premise of the show is ridiculous but then again I am trying to take it seriously as a design show which is equally ridiculous on my part :)

• Like 1