qs white oak rocker nearly complete!

tcarswell

Thank you guys so much for all the kind words ! That means so much. The rockers themselves are glue laminated from 4 slices of resaw qswo . I really liked how they came out. Roger I love it fantastic work. You don't happen to still have the plans for that bad boy or know where to get them do you ? I have a few small projects and then I want to do another! My ww skills have improved a ton since I started this project so I feel the next will go quicker. What's this about a rocker guild build ?!

I got the plans for my rocker from American Furniture Design Co.

It is plan #120 and designed by Del Cover and is called Curley Maple Rocker.

I paid $20.00 for the plans and they are VERY complete even with full scale drawings for making patterns and a booklet of assembly instructions.

I actually still have the bill for the lumber.....$159.18 dated 10/19/09 ! Bet ya cant do that  again! :)

I'm sure you can find them on the net. And NO, I will not give them to you or copy them for you. I still have all of the plans and the patterns that I made and I might just get a wild hair to build another rocker. (I get stupider as I grow older. You know the old saying "Fools keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.") :)  (Just like our last election results)

Rog

Lol well said Roger. From one woodworker to another I would never dream of asking for your own build sheet ! Thanks so much I hate to say it but my plans were about as bad as it gets so that would be a massive improvement. Thanks so much guys looks like I'll be seeing yall in the guild .

I know I couldn't do that again Roger lol. Just the material I actually used for my rocker ( 4/4 and 8/4 ) heavy figure quarter sawn white oak from extra wide (10" + wide boards totalled 210 bucks. Pretty steep but so worth it. I was apprehensive to build a subjectively comfortable item from plans but even though I'm still waiting for the seat pad this thing is amazingly comfortable. More pictures for you guys sorry my shop lighting is great to work in but awful for photography. It's odd my pictures keep getting turned I'm not sure why it's doing that.

post-16322-0-42393700-1421217962_thumb.j

post-16322-0-21914900-1421218013_thumb.j

post-16322-0-65789400-1421218036_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update I got the rocker sanded to 600 grit (overkill I know but I read somewhere that Jeff Miller sands to 600 on his rockers) I have two coats of masterpiece wood finish applied . Not sure if I'm going to do three it's absorbed evenly and doesn't seem thirsty . Will update when I get the mid coat and top coats applied .

Thank you guys for all your kind words

Taylor

post-16322-0-59548700-1422183590_thumb.j

post-16322-0-13683700-1422183613_thumb.j

Sanding that high can actually work against you if you end up burnishing the wood.  It can inhibit the finish from soaking into the fibers and prevent the figure to pop to its fullest potential.  Not to mention it's totally unnecessary...180 or 220 is plenty unless you're planning on a high-gloss finish.  For future reference.  The rocker looks great though!

• Like 1

Thanks guys I'll remember that next time . Honestly I didn't notice any smoothness difference after 320 so it was pointless.

Thanks guys !

PS I have been waiting since the day after Christmas for a proper tilt top mortiser to show up. The first one showed up with a cracked table the second one has been on backorder ever since. When it does arrive I will start my next rocker.

Any real sanding done above 220-320 range with out water is nearly pointless, you may knock down some dust bumps or the top off of a run but that is about all you will get before the paper clogs.

edit: to clarify, the water part only refers to sanding between coats of finish when dealing with wood, that is where the old school steel wool comes to play no water needed.

• 4 weeks later...