New guy from the PNW

pdxkris

Well, since I popped out of lurking and posted in the Rough Cut thread, I guess it's only fair that I stop in here and introduce myself as well :)

First, a little background.   I got my first taste of woodworking around 2006 when I picked up a Sherline mini cnc mill and lathe with grandiose visions of selling wood and metal trinkets and small projects online.   While I did sell some over a few years, I don't think I ever made enough to cover my inventory, let alone any machinery, but it was a great learning experience and I had a lot of fun in the process.   That adventure naturally led me to places like woodcraft and rockler where I found the small item kits, but more importantly opened my eyes to what else was out there in the world of woodworking.

I began to learn more about woodworking through great forums like this, YouTube, blogs, books, etc, and became hooked.  I read and watched everything I could get my hands on for months until I decided to give it a go.  Unfortunately, at the time all I had was my $100 Craftsman plastic-top "tablesaw" with a non-uniform width miter gauge slot. I didn't find it very conducive to quality work, and gave up the hobby until I could afford better equipment.

Since then, I've continued to learn all I could in my spare time, gaining knowledge for when I had better tools.  I don't dare guess as to how many hundreds of hours I've spent watching and reading everything I could get my hands on.  At some point, I decided this was going to be a lifetime hobby and (years down the line) a source of retirement income, and I wanted to jump past many of the tool hurdles and/or upgrades I've seen folks go through and go the "buy once, cry once" route.

Fast forward to today.. After a very successful home remodel and sale left some money in the bank (and after promising my wife a houseful of new furniture!), I'm now nearly done setting up a dream shop in our new house.   3 car garage, MiniMax CU300 combo machine, MM 16 bandsaw, ClearVue cv1800, and coming shortly, a drum sander and compliment of hand tools (amongst other goodies).   The heavy equipment has been a paperweight since July waiting on electrical and dust collection install to be completed, but I'm nearly there.

I don't have any disillusions that the fancy equipment means I'll be turning out pro work anytime soon, but at least I know I only have myself to blame ;)   

Below are a few projects from my Sherline days, once I get the new shop fired up, I'll start sharing the new projects, and have plenty of newb questions to go around, I'm sure.

post-15911-0-38895900-1422178734_thumb.jpost-15911-0-92629000-1422178742_thumb.jpost-15911-0-89256300-1422178747_thumb.jpost-15911-0-38611700-1422178755_thumb.j

-Kris

Thanks all!

I wonder what would happen if a forgotten cigar was left in a wooden ashtray ? I'm guessing a scorch is more likely than a fire.

Surprisingly, not much (at least not with the poly finish).   Cigars don't really continue to burn like cigarettes when unattended, which may be part of the reason.   The padauk checkerboard one was actually a test piece for that very thing.   I gave it to my FIL and that thing lasted really well when he was the only one using it.  

Eventually it ended up at a job site with a bunch of cigarette smokers using it to, and then the poly ended up getting a black crust on the bottom from them putting the cigs out by squashing them into the center.  As far as I could tell, the poly was still technically protecting the wood, and could likely get sanded back and refinished.

It's since been abused further and left outside (under cover) in northern Idaho for years.   The wood has cracked a bit, the padauk has faded to a grey, but considering what it's put up with, It's survived pretty well.    I'm sure I'll see it within the next year, when I do, I'll snap a pic.

If I remember correctly, the "B" one was a commissioned piece that wasn't really intended to be used, and was more of a man-cave show piece.

Welcome and nice projects. I think we need a new shop tour!

Once it functions as a shop, I could probably be convinced to do a photo tour (I don't do video.. I hate being on camera).   Right now its still just a messy garage and I'm playing tetris with normal garage things and equipment trying to find a good balance and storage for all of the non-shop items.   The big machines still need dust collection plumbed (I've got the hard lines setup, but need to figure out all the transitions), and electrical cords made up, I'm hoping to have things up and going in a few weeks, but I've said that before!

I've also got a a couple of young kids (3, and almost 1), which slows down progress a bit.    Did I mention a very understanding wife?