Need computer suggestion

Tom Crawford

My son lives in CanCun and is needing a laptop for online college he has signed up for.  At 75 I have not really followed what's out there today. So I would appreciate reliable brand and model suggestions you may have. He will buy it down there and does not have the skills or knowledge to build or trust someone there to build up so it needs to be a brand name.  

There requirements from the University are:

• 2 GHz or faster processor
  • 4GB or more RAM
  • 80GB or larger hard drive
  • Cable/DSL or better connection
  • 1024x768 or greater resolution monitor and supporting video card
  • Sound card with speakers
  • Inkjet or laser printer
  • Microphone
  • A web camera capable of video web conferencing, and web editing software
  • A DVD/CD-ROM drive may be needed to install software

As much as it pains me to say, go the easy route and get a Macbook. There are Apple-endorsed repair centers and resellers in Cancun (via their Mexican website), even if it doesn't appear there is an actual Apple store.

A new one should last him four years fairly well, and it will still have resale value if he needs to upgrade before then. It will hurt your wallet, but you will have peace of mind.

If Mac is an option, I've had my MacBook pro for 6 years now. Still going strong with absolutely no hardware upgrades.

If PC then HP or Dell (probably a laptop would meet all the criteria). There are some fantastic deals around at the moment,

If it is an online college I think either a PC or MAC would be fine to use but check it out with the univeristy. Obviously funds dictate the outcome but a Macbook Air is superb and would meet the spec.

I got 10 years out of a Dell.  The last 4 years or so I felt like I was spending more time trying to keep it running than actually using it.  I upgraded the memory once and the HD outlasted the original monitor and an after market LCD monitor.  Those were the days when you spent at least 2 hours ea time you wanted to speak to customer support.

The Mac is a real dream machine.  Virtually maintenance free.  I never needed antivirus or spyware, never crashes, so easy to setup and use, etc.  You'll get your money's worth. 

I wish the workplace could go to them.

• Like 1