Split urn

trz

So, i built this urn for my mothers ashes but told her not to be in a hurry to use it.

Well, it's been sitting in her china cabinet for two yrs. This year the dry air in her house from this crappy Michigan winter took it's toll on it and as you can see in the pic it split.

So my question is ... What would you do with it?

The top is obviously glued on.

Leave it the way it is? Cut the top off and make a new top, use a dutchman patch or some other decoritive inlay?

And will it most likely do it again if i fix that split?

How might you handle it?

I did tell Mother if she would pass on during the summer months that there's a chance it will close up and no one will be the wiser!

post-5247-0-80678300-1425057945_thumb.jp

post-5247-0-00673300-1425057978_thumb.jp

If it's glued on solid that's why it split.

Ya , well aware of why it happened, but not sure how else i wpuld have done it.

The acsess is through the bottom and it needs to be sealed so how would you secure the top piece?

I've got more to make so i would like to avoid this in the future!

Am I the only one that finds it strange to make an urn for a living person?

People buy burial plots for living people, so why is it strange to make an urn for a living person?

Ya , well aware of why it happened, but not sure how else i would have done it.

The access is through the bottom and it needs to be sealed so how would you secure the top piece?

I've got more to make so i would like to avoid this in the future!

I'd use a floating panel within a frame, with room for wood movement.

Am I the only one that finds it strange to make an urn for a living person?

I agree with Mike W, I think a butterfly key would help and ski l also look good.

I had a request from my folks to make therir urns

It would be tough to try and build them immediately after I get a phone call that they've passed.

Oh, plus mom wanted to see hers!

But, ya some people think it's "odd"

I made an urn for our neighbor man about seven years ago at his request. He is 87 YO now and still going strong.

I've made urns for my wife and myself and have two or three extras on a shelf in the shop. One of which will go to a good friend who's wife just died last Monday as a gift from my wife and me.

Urn-box002.jpg

Rog

Some people aren't comfortable with the subject.  In a high school creative writing class I wrote a short piece about the day my Mom died.  Some people were practically putting their hands over their ears and saying "La La La La La La!  I can't believe you are writing/talking about this!"

So, if I had a coffin or urn ready, I don't think I'd put it where casual visitors could ask, "Oooh, what a nice piece!  What is it?"

My father-in-law bought both grandkids new cars while he was alive so he could enjoy watching them enjoy them, instead of leaving them money. Bless his heart, glad he did as it saved me some bucks!

Just out of curiosity, is there a sealable plug or something in the bottom?

Some people aren't comfortable with the subject.  In a high school creative writing class I wrote a short piece about the day my Mom died.  Some people were practically putting their hands over their ears and saying "La La La La La La!  I can't believe you are writing/talking about this!"

So, if I had a coffin or urn ready, I don't think I'd put it where casual visitors could ask, "Oooh, what a nice piece!  What is it?"

Just tell them that death is another one of those facts of life. Do they feel the same way about sex education or getting taller and growing hair under their arms as they become teenagers?

Rog

No No...I'd store it somewhere like in the corner, covered my 30 x 50 shop (yeah I'm dreaming)

Just out of curiosity, is there a sealable plug or something in the bottom?

Coffins today have a seal around the lid and a small fitting mounted on the outside to hook a machine to evacuate most of the air from the inside I'm told.  It must be some sort of one way valve. 

Some people aren't comfortable with the subject. In a high school creative writing class I wrote a short piece about the day my Mom died. Some people were practically putting their hands over their ears and saying "La La La La La La! I can't believe you are writing/talking about this!"

So, if I had a coffin or urn ready, I don't think I'd put it where casual visitors could ask, "Oooh, what a nice piece! What is it?"[/quo

My mother is proud of hers and likes to show it off. Nothing wrong with that!